Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Canadian Cat E B 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bsly

Petroleum
Aug 31, 2006
CA
Can anyone point me at what makes a category E fitting opposed to a category H fitting.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Category E is specifically for expansion joints, flexible connections, and hose assemblies.

Category H is a generic hodge-podge for itmes that do not fit into Categories A - G. Category H may include a series of components (including piping components) joined together to form a single fitting, provided that the diameter of any component does not exceed 152mm (6") and the total volume of the fitting does not exceed 42.5L (1.5 cu.ft).

All above taken from B51-03, Table 1. Refer to this table for a description of all other categories.

Small vessels that do not quite make it as vessels do also fall into the Cat H fitting as per Fig 1 (a), (b), (c) flowcharts.

Putting Human Factor Back in Engineering

thanks chaulklate, the typical problems usually don't originate on big vessels but the small vessels are tricky. Sometimes it gets forgotten to register those since they are so small. I have been beating this drum forever.
::)

Putting Human Factor Back in Engineering

For those that cannot read B51.
Category E are strainers, filters, seperators, and steam traps. So do all 2 and 3 phase seperators fall under category E fittings or as pressure vessels. What if my steam trap in 4" and < 1.5 cuft? What about my seperator that is 6" and > 1.5 cuft. According to the flow charts, there are only pressure vessels and Category H fittings. What about minature pressure vessels? They are inspected by the manufacturer and < than 1.5 cuft but > 5 cuft. It is not even addressed in the flow charts, but they exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back