Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cantilver slab to be poured later 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

canstructural

Structural
Sep 16, 2009
CA
I have a situation ,where as per site requirements, cantilver slab of about 9ft will be poured later in the construction.

Please see the attached sketch and provide your opinion, is it possible to pour as one of the options. I am just wondering that there is no monolithic joint at the junction.

I can ask for bottom rebar to make continuous at support, if it requires to be.

Appreciate for your kind suggestions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As long as you can transfer shear and tension, you should be OK. I would ask for 3" bearing. I would also extend bottom bars to lap with.

I would also suggest looking at cambering up the forms on the cantilever a small bit - if this is exterior be careful you don't over camber and negate any required slope for drainage.

There will be some initial downward slip that I think would be more than that found in a monolithic placement.

I would be worried about corrosion inm the joint. There will be a weakness there and long term corrosion will be bad.

I would also use continuous bottom reinforcement.

I would also be concerned about corrosion, you could consider using corrosion resistant reinforcing.

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that them like it

Two things and both in the 18' backspan:

1. I would make the top steel continous, and

2. Make sure the bottom steel is also sized for the no cantilever condition too. I would put at least 20 psf construction LL on the backspan too for this condition.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

canstructural,

-Extend bottom bars in form of dowels say by 40xbar diameter min.
- Ensure face is scabbled prior to next pour.
- Cover might be an issue so dont ignore as it drastically reduces your effective depth.

I would remove the shear key and place the joint at the middle of the wall. The bottom steel should be extended to lap with the bottom steel of the cantilever.

I agree with Mike that top steel should extend throughout the backspan.

BA

Actually, you don't have to carry all of the top reinforcement across the backspan. If you decide to carry 50% of it through, then the 9' dimension could refer to the fifty percent of bars cut off. Without doing any calculations, that would seem reasonable to me.

BA

yes, we can terminate 50% of steel at half the span, i was thinking to keep the option 2 with tapered cantilever slab and want to terminate 50% of top there at midspan of cantilever too.
Top rebar arrangement would look like: [] is support cantilver wall.

[]--------------------[]---------
[] -----------[]---------------- []--------------------[]---------
[] -----------[]----------------
hokie,
yes there would be a membrane at roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back