Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Carbon steel tubing used on ASME vessel shells?? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

XIIISTORY

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2007
CA
I have been looking for a light wall carbon steel tube material that would be acceptable for use as a shell on ASME pressure vessels. Anyone know of a common material, readily available in 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 18"?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try SA-334. Most (all?) other tube specs approved for Sect VIII-1 service are for heat exchangers, boilers, heaters, etc, and are not available in larger sizes (not, at least, per the specs in ASME Section II Part A).

SA-334 addresses seamless and welded carbon and alloy steel tubes for low temperature service. But the low temp aspect shouldn't be a problem.

Story,

Carbon Steel products, readily available in 8", 10", 12", 14", 16", 18 are not typically sold a "tube"

I believe that you may be interested in "pipe" and if you are, the common materials are A53/A106 grades A,B,C

"Tube" products imply OD controled manufacture, "pipe" products are sold with a minumum guarateed wall thickness.

-MJC

Story,
The ASME BPVC has specified the calculation of minimum wall thickness of various materials, for vessels designed in accordance with this code, hence the "light" wall tubing is subject of this minimum wall thickness.
The ASME VIII code has established the clear criteria for pressure vessel definition in the "Introduction" chapter, clause U-1. The use of any material under the ASME jurisdiction is restricted to the materials listed in ASME Sec. II, Table D (others may be used, under given conditions). There are many grades of carbon steel piping and tubing which may fall under your requirements, taking in account your application, corrosion requirements, pressure and temperature, etc..
Please read first the relevant ASME VIII Clauses U-1 ..U-3, it will help to clarify your questions and our answers.
cheers,
gr2vessels

Thank all of you for your contributions to my original submission. I should have been more specific.

I am looking for 8" od thru 20" od light wall carbon steel tubing (not pipe) to be used as shells on air receiver tanks. The material SA-334 exists in the code, but my pipe supplier cannot source it in Canada through his normal avenues.

Can anyone suggest a source for this material in the sizes listed? or perhaps an alternate material more readily available.

The most common material I have seen used on air recievers is SA-414 G. The allowables are considerably higher than SA-334 so any difference in strength may make up for the fact that there needs to be a long seam and possibly a lower efficiency.

My 2 cents.

EJL

When you say "light walled" what is your reference point?
In Alberta, std wall in A 106 Gr B is considered minimum and it is usually easy to find (depends on quantity).

XIIISTORY
there isn't any thin walled out there.
roll it.
genblr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back