Career advice for an entry level engineer 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaKaz

Structural
Sep 14, 2006
US
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum. So, I don't know if this is a right place to ask this question. I got my B.S. in Structural Engineering last year and I have been working at a Timber Industry for over a year now. Recently, I am thinking about going back to grad school, but the question is if I should do my MS in engineering or get MBA. My long term career goal is to become a project manager or managing principle. I asked couple of engineers and some said to get MBA since engineers usually don't have enough management and market knowledge to become a good manager and other said, MBA is overstated and I should go for MS in engineering to move up. In my personal opinion, I think I should get MBA with PE or SE license. What you guys suggest for this situation? Your suggestion on this matter will be really helpful.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

oh yea, the concept of a decent school is relative. some people are snobs, while others aren't. it's nice to see the wide eyed looks, but i doubt there's a huge difference in the caliber of engineer one school produces. i've had some idiots when i was in college, and i've seen some good engineers come out of schools that weren't in the top 20 or even 50. maybe there is, maybe there isn't.

PaKaz-I really respect your pursuit of answers-you keep digging, which is the sign of a good engineer.

One point I never saw brought up was the issue of marketability within the Engineering community. Ignoring the question of quality of school for MS, the mere fact of having the MS in your back pocket is an insurance policy.

You never know where your path will lead you. You may be plotting a course as Captain of your ship, but sometimes the winds are fickle and may send you a different route than you had charted.

If you intend to stay in California and practice structural engineering, then the MS route (initially) gives you a very solid resume if you should need to find work elsewhere. If you can pull off the MS while working (no easy task, you will be making large sacrifices) then how hard would an MBA be for you?

On the other hand, it seems people being groomed for management maybe don't need a lot of highly specific education. Say you go the MBA route, you will still be working as an engineer until you are promoted to PM, correct? That may be all the engineering you really need once you move into PM work. They don't need to be as technically savvy as people managing the actual design.

Like BelSpringKen wrote: pick the one that interests you more. From what I can tell, the PM/MBA route is potentially a fast track to upper management, meaning more money and more pressure, a lot more.

The MS route can get you to the same place, but will take you longer. I, personally, respect someone more who would go the MS route and what I consider paying your dues. To each his own though. You won't have to care what the little people think once you are in management, will you?

Isnt a post graduate in project management more relevant than an MBA in todays market?

My understanding is that the MBA is more relevant for running a company, but most other managers in an engineering company are really project managers anyway.

1. I found that the MS earned through a research grant, labor in foodservice, and some debit, reduced my pay vs someone who went to work after their BS and then into work, and is now earning their MS paid by work is far better off. Not cause school is free, but is being paid far more than most dishwashers and bartenders.

2. What you learn when you're there is always far more important than what they are teaching you. This applies to BS as well as MS, and I intend to find out about Phd school.

3. There are always people who went to a better school, drive a better car, and have a better job. Enjoy where you go, have a good relationship with your advisor, and pay attention to what they are trying to teach you.

Nick
I love materials science!

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Now here is my next Dillema.
1) I can stay with my current employer for next 3 years and get paid for my schooling but I will not gain any design experience since it's not a design firm. (my work will work around my school time) By the time I will graduate, I will be debt free but no solid hands on design experience.

2) I can go work for a design firm and by having little experience from my current job I will get a little salary bump. I have to pay for my schooling from that money (for state universities, I think can pull it off) but I am gaining the design experiences. So by the time I will be out of grad school, hopefully I will have solid 3 years design experience, but a little debt.

Which one is the better choice?

If you can handle the debt, go for the better experience.

If you can't handle the deblt, go for the free schooling.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I'd go for the experience. At the end of the 3 yrs, you're marketable, solely on the experience, the degree is simply a bonus.

If the other route is taken, you've degree with little or no experience, which may, or may not, be a difficult selling point.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

So, I can go to a top 10 university if I choose to work with my current employer, but If I choose to work for some other companies then I will gain experience but I have to get my degree from a not so retutable school. Is it worth go to an ok school just for couple of year hands on experience?

If you go to a really, really good school, you won't need the experience to get hired. They'll come recruiting at the school. But won't you have to stay a certain number of years with your current employer after they finish paying for your school?

Also you should be able to get merit-based funding from the grad school if you go full-time. If you don't have house or car payments, or a family to support, you might be able to get enough to live on without supplementing it with loans.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back