Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Certified SolidWorks Tests now Online? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjason71

Mechanical
Feb 23, 2007
US
I noticed SWorks is now offering there CSWA and CSWP tests online and you can take them for free by requesting a voucher.

Has anyone received a voucher they had sent for? I am still waiting for mine (about a week).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm wondering if you fail the test can you retake the test or do you have on shot? I don't believe anyone has touched on this subject. I sent my request to SW for a voucher last week and have not heard anything from them yet. I know it takes several days. I requested both the CSWA and CSWP exams. I took the downloaded practice exam for the CSWA and finished it at exactly 3 hours with all questions correct. Has anyone done this and feel it prepared them well for the actual test?

I agree the test could have been taken without the use of SW. Now that I think of it, You could come up with the answers by hand if you wanted to, or use any CAD software. You can become a CSWP without having SW loaded.
I sent my comments to SW this morning. No response yet.
If I were to have paid for this test separately, I would not be happy.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 4.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)
ctopher's blog

Yes, your first question has been addressed, but in a thread this long I don't think you can be blamed for missing it. You only have one free shot per voucher. You can take the test again without a voucher, but you will have to pay. Each paid subscription gets you one voucher. I suppose if you can negotiate with your management/coworkers to use their vouchers then you might get more than one free shot.

Passed the CSWA! CSWP-core is up next.

Tony Murschel, CSWA
Dual Xeon 5160 10GB RAM
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
Solidworks 2007 SP4.0 x64
Solidworks 2008 SP0.0 x64

to answer markruble

Just took the CSWA test and found it tougher than the test exam papers provided, the models are a lot more complex, on first impression they look quite simple but require a bit of thinking to the best way to model them

oh yeah I passed :)... CSWP next!

CSWA was pretty easy but reading those damn JPEGs was eye-straining. I missed one question because I failed to put in a round that was hard to see but was lurking in a corner.

In reference to
handleman said:
Certified Relative Aptitude for Parts
CRAP thats a great name for the test but I wouldn't want to put that on my business card.

I feel that the online test is harder for the modeling excercises because you have to swap back and forth between the Test Window and Solid Works instead of having a full size drawing or screen shot image in front of you to reference. You can make only the image display to save screen space but it's probably a lot faster to make a transparent sketch image.

I have seen a lot of test questions that ask basic working with solid works questions like How you create equations or Change the Reference Part for a drawing and other things out of the Solid Works Essentials or File Management courses. So if you have the essentials book study it carefully. Since the online tests were started they may get rid of these questions that are more geared towards Solid Works because if you have it you can check your answers more easily.

All Answers to Mass Props will match exactly or you got something wrong like I stated I missed that one fillet and got a 95 because I figured "It must be a rounding error." I also knew that all my other answers were correct.

Michael
CSWA
Soon to be CSWP and the rest

Taking the plunge tonight after work! I have myself half nuts about this test! Just by reading the posts, it seems like the pictures to model from are not very clear.

I'll report back after 9pm tonight!

Todd

Took the CSWP exam at the beginning of December and failed (140/200); but I received an email today from Solidworks certification saying that they reviewed my test and I could take it again for free. So anyone else that failed you should check your email just in case.

POLYKRACKER said:
Took the CSWP exam at the beginning of December and failed (140/200); but I received an email today from Solidworks certification saying that they reviewed my test and I could take it again for free. So anyone else that failed you should check your email just in case.

Got the same e-mail after a 135/200. retook the test and came away with a 180/200. Personally I thought taking the test with SW08 was easier for the incontext assembly than '07.

To Those Of You Whom Took The CSWP Exam,

Can you print OUT the exam?

I have a dual monitor set-up, can the exam be displayed on one monitor while SW is displayed on the other?

I'm just looking for the best approach. I'd rather not be flipping a single monitor display screen back and forth between reading exam and SW.

Thanks.

---SW 2008 SP1.1---

I have a dual monitor set-up, can the exam be displayed on one monitor while SW is displayed on the other?

Yes. That is your best bet. I took the exam on a 24" wide screen and just used SW on the left and had the test on the right. One of the real issues is that you cannot zoom in on the images on the test... and the images aren't very big.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Print the Images of the Test screen out and you'll have a much easier time.

You can also take a screen shot and insert it as a sketch image so you can model the part with the Dim Values and the questions shown in the background.

The problem is that when they list the A= B= values they take up half the width of the screen which makes it hard to view both screens at the same time.

Another thing regarding the images is that they can be misleading because they are showing a general shape which may not match the indicated A, B, C dim values.

If any one is going to SW World you can take a free test there.

Michael

The FREE Exam voucher program has been extended up to June 30, 2008 ... you must redeem (or take the exam) by July 31, 2008.

I took the exam and other than making some bad assumptions and not really taking my time to really look at the depictions (or images) ... I slowed down and I discovered that what SWx provided was fair.

Once I did slow down, I thought the exam was pretty easy. I scored 190/200 ... I screwed up on the COSMOS questions though. I guess I didn't slow down enough ...

Oh well ... see everybody at SWxW-08

Go Patriots !!!

Cheers ...

Brian

Received an email from Solidworks inviting me to re-take the CSWP test again!.. whats that all about? - as they tying to bump up the number of 'Professionals'

Re-took the test and it was exactly the same test as the first time I took it - Has anybody else had this?

am not complaing. I passed :) 190 out of 200

JC ... the only thing I can think of is if you didn't pass the exam the first go-around it's probably part of their procedure/process to offer people who didn't fair so well on their first time the ability to take it again.

But that's just my thoughts ...

Brian Mazejka, CSWP
Documentation Control Manager
Microline Pentax, Inc.

I think that they are still trying to work the bugs out of the testing software, so they are offering those that are close to passing the benefit of the doubt that it was the software's fault for an answer that was really close rather than the user's fault for not modeling the part correctly. Effectively we are all just one big beta group.

I received a similar email. First time around my score was 145 so I was happy to get the second chance. I also got the same questions again, but with different variables.
Since I was confident of passing the second time I would rather have had different questions, it feels a bit like cheating....but I did get the full 200 now :)

Maarten
CSWP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back