Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CGM import

Status
Not open for further replies.

fjonsson

Automotive
May 11, 2007
SE
I have a CGM file of a drawing. It is generated from CAtia V5 drawing and I would like to import it into a NX5 drawing. The textfont is "bold", the letters are filled. I would like the letters to be unfilled, like silhouettes. I would like to keep the thickness of the letters.
Is there a way to modify the import of a CGM-file or is all done at generation?

Thanks

/Fredrik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the text within the cgm file actually text, or is it simply line segments?
Maybe bring it into an NX file and double click on it to find out.

If the CGM file was created with Notes created as 'text' and not 'polylines', they should get imported into NX as text. Now if you're EXPORTING the CGM FROM NX and you have notes in you model, they will only be exported as 'text' if the 'Output Text' option was set to 'Text' AND if the display of the model was normal to the screen (this is generally NOT a problem if you're exporting a Drawing, but could be an issue if it's a model view and it's slightly skewed relative to the normal of screen).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

No, the output is not text. I have tried the menues in V5 to try to find where to change it.
If I manage to create a text CGM file, would I be able to change the font style?

/Fredrik

No you really cannot change it unless it is text.
You may want to cannot the people that you got the CGM from and see if they are able to change the output setting of their text to "text" instead of "polylines".

I am sort of on my own. I have access to V5 also even if I haven´t worked with it that much. I have the drawing as a .CATDrawing-file.
I need to convert into a UG drawing for the customer.

maybe bring this up in the Catia forum in here and mention that you want to export a CGM and keep the text as text, and not lines - there must be a seeing in there someplace.

Thanks. I just did. Lets see what happens. When (if) I manage to extract the CGM as text, how to change the font in UG? Can I do it in one go? It is a large drawing. A lot of text and numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back