Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Chimney Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleeeex

Civil/Environmental
Aug 14, 2020
GB
Hi Guys,

I'm considering how to support the removal of the chimney on the ground floor while also providing a steel beam to support the stack above. I ran preliminary calculations with the 2x beams running parallel to the party wall underneath the chimney, but I am not satisfied with this option because there is an opening on one side and there is not enough room to support the beam.

However, I believe that with the attached option, one beam must pass through the bathroom. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

chimney_lwczxx.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always try and persuade people to completely remove chimneys - if they completely disused then it's just a hole in the roof letting heat out and (potentially) water in.

Can you get the lower beam to bear onto the internal wall? You don't need the outer beams to be entirely outside the line of the chimney.

(I don't like gallows brackets - if the neighbour has removed their chimney they're unstable and no guarantee they won't in future.)

I'll have to see if the lower beam can bear on the internal wall, or if the wall needs to be rebuilt to support the load.

These lines are only indicative; simply using two 152mm beams will most likely be sufficient.

I was wondering if it is possible to conceal the steel beams between the floor joists? So it is not visible.

You certainly could, but then you'd need to design the beams to support the joists and their loads as well because you'd likely need to cut the joists to fit the beams.

You never really mentioned why you couldn't remove the chimney in full. I'd bet by the time you costed out the beams and the installation etc. It's probably on par with removing the entire chimney and infilling the holes left behind. In fact, I feel that complete removal and infilling would be far cheaper.

Given the proportions, I'd bet that's a historic structure. Probably a house in a highly regulated historic district? They might let you tear out your fireplace, but they won't let you change the exterior appearance? Just a guess.

Aleeeex said:
I was wondering if it is possible to conceal the steel beams between the floor joists? So it is not visible.

Maybe. If the joists are deep enough, probably. If your client has unending streams of cash that he/she is willing to throw at the endeavor, almost certainly. Depends on spans, loads, and all that other stuff that goes into designing every beam...

I had one recently in a historic district with a pretty massive chimney. They wanted to remove the entire core up to the rafters and leave the portion above the roof. I politely declined the job.

It happens quite a lot in the UK terraced houses (row houses?). The chimney at is shared with next door so they either need to take them both down, or support the remaining chimney at whatever level it's been taken out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back