Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Circuit Blowing Bulbs - Overpowered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andybuk

Computer
Mar 16, 2007
GB
Hi,
I'm in the process of repairing a DJ light system with a knackered transformer. It was causing the internal fuses to blow, so i've replaced the transformer, but it's now taken to blowing the bulbs within it. I'm guessing this is due to too high a voltage, or too much current flowing, but I just need to understand exactly what the ratings I have mean.

The transformer is identical to the old one in rating. 240V input to 2 x 24V secondary outputs, in series to create 48V. I've already noticed that this is actually producing 52V with no load attached. The transformer is 300VA, used to power two 150W 24V bulbs, also in series.

When a transformer is rated at 300VA, does that mean, when it's supplying 48V on the secondary, that it will supply 6.25A, or that this is the maximum it can supply? Also, how sensitive are halogen bulbs to a couple of volts difference to the rating? If it would work, I could get hold of higher rated bulbs, but I'm not sure whether to go for the same voltage rating, but a higher wattage, or to go for the same wattage with a higher voltage?

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you measured the incoming voltage on the 240 V side of the transformer (carefully)?

Are there taps on the transformer for adjusting the turns ratio?

Remember the life of an incandescent bulb goes down to the 4th or 5th power of the voltage. That means running a 24V bulb @ 25V cuts it's life like in half, at 26V cuts it to something like 1/6th, you get the idea.

The current has no control. The bulbs will draw what they want. The higher the load the lower the voltage though.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

A transformer rated at 48V 300VA at nominal input will have a nominal output at 6.25A. The no load voltage you mention of 52V is about right as 300VA transformers typically have regulation (Vnoload/Vfull load) of 8 to 10%.
As the load is increased from 0 to 6.25A the output voltage will decrease to the nominal voltage.

Keith, those numbers can't be correct (or at least not correct for anything other than DC, and even then they seem overly harsh). If that held for AC, minor power fluctuations in the grid would shorten the lifetime of bulbs to a few days about once every week.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

From "wikipedia": (I inserted ^ to indicate exponent)

Incandescent lamps are very sensitive to changes in the supply voltage. These characteristics are of great practical and economic importance. For a supply voltage V,

Light output is approximately proportional to V^ 3.4
Power consumption is approximately proportional to V ^1.6
Lifetime is approximately inversely proportional to V ^16
Color temperature is approximately proportional to V ^0.42

So lifetime changes with sizteenth power !!!

----------------------------
Please read FAQ240-1032
My WEB: <

Hang on -

A 240/48V transformer operating at full rated power with a resistive load produces 49V output with 226V input? Sounds like this isn't a 240/48 transformer but a 220/48V transformer. Output voltage should be close to nominal when running at nameplate conditions, i.e. rated voltage delivering rated current. This one isn't.

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Isn't there a voltage problem using 52V for "two 150W 24V bulbs, also in series"? If a bulb is rated to draw 6.25A @ 24V, won't it approximately draw 13.5 A when given 52V (or 12.5A @ 48V)?
I'm no electrician, but for the initially given bulbs it seems necessary to add loads, so a proper supply would be 13A minimum @ 24V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back