Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Clamping 0.2mm aluminum sheets together with screws - how many and what size screws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIJPN

Electrical
Aug 5, 2022
JP
I want to stack some parts on top of each other. These are 17 discs, 75mm in diameter, made from 0.2mm thick aluminum sheets.
The problem is that the sheets are not totally flat, and when stacked on top of each other there are small gaps between them that can be seen when looking at the stack of sheets from the side.
I need to make sure there are no gaps between the sheets, and each sheet sits flush against the sheets above and below. To solve this problem, I am thinking of having sheets made with holes in them that I can put screws through, and then tighten bolts on the screws to clamp the sheets together.
I want to minimize the number of screws I need to use, but I want to make sure there are no gaps between the stacked sheets.

I have included an image of the 75mm diameter part with some possible places for the holes and the screws. (Holes are numbered 1-25)
Can anyone suggest where it would be best to locate the screws, and how many might be needed? Should the holes be located somewhere else?
Note, the hole for the screws is 1.2mm diameter, and the head of the screw is 2mm - if this is too small, please comment.
Screen_Shot_2022-12-28_at_11.44.10_pm_sbx459.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the goal is to characterize the damage and not to prove the aim of the shooting device, then I would not expect to use the center - it would be at some radius so that individual collisions would happen, each followed by rotating the next target area into place.

Well, based on what we all we don't know, anything is posible :)

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Oh yes, I've used laminated shims at times. But more often than not, the types of machines I designed, we'd send a 'bucket' of shims to the job site, made from scrape sheet metal, anything from 22 and 16 ga up to 1/8 and 3/16 inch.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Laminated shims are of benefit when the shim thickness gets much less than 0.002" individually Jim's under that size are very easy to damage with handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back