Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

CODE INTERPRETATION 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

qualitypro

Mechanical
Sep 30, 2003
US
I am encountering 8"std and 22" Sch30 P22 pipe material(P.No.5A Gr.1)to be fabricated under ASME SecI: Boiler Proper at site. The data reports from the boiler manufacturer state that the parts have been fabricated in accordance to ASME SecI: 1998 and Addenda to 1999.
For P22 material, SecI: 1998 has a diameter restriction of < 4" and thickness restriction of <5/8" for PWHT . In SecI:2001, the diameter clause has been DELETED.
Do I have to follow the 1998 code and still do the PWHT or can I get away without doing the PWHT as per 2001 code?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is the edition of the ASME B&PV code that you are currently working under to construct the boiler? If the Jurisdiction has adopted the 2001 Edition of the Code, I believe you can use the piping components and avoid PWHT of P5A Group 1 pipe material if it is 5/8" or less in thickness.

It looks to me that the part was fabricated to '99, but you just now are installing it, If the completed boiler is to '99,
youare okay, but if your completedblr is '01 Ed you may have to HT, your AI will have to interpret and accept it.
ER

Talking to AI beforehand is always a good idea.

It is unclear to me whether you are performing a boiler repair or alteration. In both cases National Board Inspection Code should be checked for PWHT requirements and possible welding procedure in lieu of PWHT.

My advise (rule of thumb) is if you fabricate a new part out of new material and no old (original) material is welded, try to use the new code requirements. If, however the old (original) material is welded that weld should be PWHT.

Newer revisions of the code supersede all the previous ones.
Building and/or altering a PV to an older version may, in some cases, create situations where the results are unacceptable per the newer version.

All AI apply the latest code version for any work to be performed on a vessel regardless of the year of fabrication of the vessel.
The original fabrication version (contract version) is also often superseded between the contract phase and the fabrication... the latest version usually applies.

HTH

saludos.
a.

Well, I did not invented this, I copied from an article making a lot of sense anditis very interesting for the users.
Good day, ER

Here is:
Paragraph RC-1020 of the National Board Inspection Code (NBIC) states:
“When the standard governing the original construction is the ASME Code, repairs and alterations shall conform insofar as possible to the section and edition of the ASME Code most applicable to the work planned.”

The rules of nearly all North American political jurisdictions require repairs and alterations to be made in accordance with either the NBIC or API-510 Pressure Vessel Inspection Code: Maintenance, Inspection, Rating, Repair, and Alteration. API 510 has provisions similar to those of the NBIC. These Inspection Codes are used worldwide.

How can a fabricator TODAY repair/modify to say, the 1980 ASME Code, when his QC system is geared to TODAY's Code? Most of them throw away the 'obsolete', old Code editions/addenda.
The best approach would be to use TODAY'S Code, but the allowable stresses from the original 1980 Code; that would account for (in general), the lower quality of materials available in 1980 vs 2004.

Of course consult your AI for his interpretation before going any further.... Assuming "New Construction" and not a Repair, you are to follow the Code and Edition to which the boiler is designed and constructed to. If ASME Section I, read the 2nd page of the Foreword of the Code Edition and Addenda stated in the design. As far as I know, these paragraphs have not changed for quite some time......... Note: Revisions = Addenda

Revisions, except for revisions to material specifications in Section II, Parts A and B, become mandatory 6 months after such date of issuance, except for boilers or pressure vessels contracted for prior to the end of the 6 month period. Revisions to material specifications are originated by the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and other recognized national or international organizations,and are usually adopted by ASME.

If it takes 3 to 5 years to put up a boiler from start to finish, the Edition and Addenda for the design of the boiler is based upon the signed contract date established between the manufacturer responsible for the design and the owner.

I will mention this again, regarding repairs or alterations to an existing item under the National Board Inspection Code, ORIGINAL refers to the code of construction NOT the edition/addendum of the ASME Code that the pressure retaining item was built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back