Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Composite Joist Vibrations

Status
Not open for further replies.

epitome1170

Structural
Feb 28, 2011
US
Does anyone have any design guides or literature on vibrations of a composite joist system (on bearing walls)?

All of my vibration literature covers composite beams and non-composite beams/joists, but nothing seems to cover this type of system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Design Guide 11 from the AISC and CISC uses a deflection criteria to find the floor systems natural frequencies (joist/beams, girders and combined)

I would assume that the wall (your girder) does not delfect therefore you only have to worry about the composite joist's properties.

hope this helps

Non-composite joists are treated as "composite" when it comes to determining I for vibration calculations in AISC Design Guide #11, so I would just follow along with that and ignore the studs to start and see where that gets you.

I seem to remember SJI had a program for a couple hundred bucks for vibration, pretty old and basic DOS type thing. Been a long time since I designed a joist floor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back