Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compression Testers and Schrader Valve Location 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc7

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
This question regards engine compression testers and the effect Schrader valve location has on accuracy of compression readings.

Background: typical automotive shop style compression testers consist of a pressure gauge attached to a flexible tube (typical ~16-inches long) with an adapter at its opposite end which threads into the spark plug hole. Higher quality gauge brands such as Snap-on or MAC have a Schrader valve located in the adapter end of the tube closest to the spark plug hole while other lower cost models have the valve located at the opposite end of the tube, adjacent to the gauge.
Does this difference of valve position make any difference in the accuracy of compression readings?

Some professional mechanics would argue that if the Schrader valve is located at the gauge, the entire volume of the 16-inch long adapter tube adds to the combustion chamber volume and would reduce the resulting compression readings (for the sake of this question let's say that simple compression ratio of an engine is based on the relationship, CR = (Vd + Vc)/Vc where Vd = displacement volume, the volume inside the cylinder displaced by the piston from the beginning of the compression stroke to the end of the stroke and Vc = clearance volume, the volume of the space in the cylinder left at the end of the compression stroke.) So any volume added by the flexible tube connected at the spark pug hole would accrue to the Vc term and somewhat diminish the overall CR and reduce gauge readings accordingly; this would be much more pronounced on small 2-stroke engines.

Consequently they (i.e., mechanics and techs) declare that when the Schrader valve is located at the spark plug end of the tube, no additional volume is added to the clearance volume and compression readings will be most accurate. This makes no sense to me. My contention is that when the engine is cranked over and pressure builds sufficiently to lift the Schrader valve, (at ~3-4psi) then the pressure pathway is open to the flexible tube and the tube volume then necessarily becomes part of the clearance volume just the same as mentioned above, so there should be NO difference in gauge readings regardless of where the Schrader valve is located.

Hoping for truth-tellers to offer expert opinions, technical dissertations and/or criticisms. All input gladly invited and thank you very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say that any compression tester that uses a Schroeder valve as a check valve will not be very accurate since the cracking pressure is not low or accurate. And the location will affect the reading. However, as a diagnostic test, the uniformity of the readings is more important than the actual reading.

Compression testers use multiple cycles of the engine to pump air through a check valve to the pressure gauge. The small volume only changes the amount of time by a small amount.

I am a bit dubious that a Shrader valve is used. They are heavily spring energized which is why every tire filling fitting I've ever used includes a plunger to force the valve open to let air in.

The first few posts in is relevant, they certainly aren't precision valves. The force has to be quite high because otherwise your tires go flat on rough roads, which is bit of a downer. I have had a Schrader rep claim that the dust cap is the actual primary seal, a claim that is convenient for him but rather ignores actual customer usage. The machine that assembles them runs at machine gun type speeds, quite amazing.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Hello Dave & Greg-
The Schrader valves used on compression tester have a much lower lift pressure than a tire valve, something on the order of ~4psi or less.

Thanks for your reply CompositePro -
I realize the gauge pressure reading will (ideally) be less than the actual pressure by an amount equal to the cracking pressure of the valve and yes these type of gauges are most useful for comparative basis'.
But you said, "... And the location will affect the reading... " and this is the very point of my inquiry here. I tried to make the case that location shouldn't matter. Can you explain why location of the Schrader valve will affect the reading ?

The location of the check valve will affect the reading. With a hose between the engine and the chck valve, extra clearance volume is added to the engine, in effect reducing the compression ratio.

Accuracy of the reading will be nimportant if the test result is to be compared to the limits publised for some engines.

je suis charlie

At least that extra volume can be accounted for - unlike the volume lost to the inserted body of the spark plug vs the air plug from the tester.

Thanks gruntguru but what you are saying is the same current wisdom that I am questioning, i.e. that a hose between cylinder and check valve adds to the clearance volume. But my claim is that with a check valve on the engine side of the setup, as soon as the valve opens (at a very low pressure) the hose then also becomes part of the clearance volume and will also reduce the compression ratio.

The other side of the valve integrates to the peak pressure. For example - if the gauge was a 10 gallon air tank it might take a while to pump it up but it would eventually reach the peak cylinder pressure minus the cracking pressure. If that did not happen one would always require a pump with a greater displacement than the item being pressurized.

Several decades ago my rubber cone tipped compression tester's valve failed, and since they look the same I replaced it with a tire schrader valve.
The test readings instantly became shockingly low.
A new genuine proper compression tester valve(package of 2 or 3 fromn NAPA) restored useful function.
I recall when tested by hand (finger) the comp tester valve spring was very weak.

Yes 3DDave, "...other side of the valve integrates to the peak pressure...", that is a very eloquent way to describe the pressure buildup with each piston stroke and it shouldn't matter where the valve is located.

The peak compression pressure, or compression ratio, of any piston in a cylinder depends very much on the residual volume between the piston and the exhaust valve. More volume results in a lower peak pressure reading. Multiple strokes does not change this fact. Multiple strokes does in increase the pressure after the valve, so that it will eventually reach the peak pressure before the valve.

To make this obvious, imagine if the hose had a volume of one liter. What results would you expect?

Dave, you did not think through your example of the 10 gallon tank. What happens when the 10 gallon tank is between the cylinder and the valve? You will never reach a pressure high enough to open the valve, and the gauge will read zero no mater how many strokes there are.

Unless that gage is between the engine and the valve, then your question is moot. Not sure why you chose to misrepresent what I wrote.

Dave reread the OP's question. Your response did not correctly answer the question. The location of the valve on the hose does change the gauge reading.

Hey CompositePro-
In your extreme example of a one liter hose between the cylinder and valve, I can see that the valve may struggle to crack open especially when the cylinder volume is small. So, yeah I'm beginning to accept that in actual practice, valve location just might make a difference !!

Composite - you are just skipping the rest. The original question was modified as "But my claim is that with a check valve on the engine side of the setup, as soon as the valve opens (at a very low pressure) the hose then also becomes part of the clearance volume and will also reduce the compression ratio."

Does that context fix it for you?

tc7 said:
Can you explain why location of the Schrader valve will affect the reading?

It definitely does, and the explanation is easy.

It's true that whenever the schrader valve is open, the entire tube volume is being compressed.

What's missing in the thought process above is that the cylinder volume, and anything exposed to the cylinder volume, returns back to ambient pressure during each cycle. Anything on the other side of the schrader valve never returns back to ambient pressure.

Near the end of the test with the valve on the chamber end of the hose, you are cracking the valve against the little column of air inside the tube which is already at 150 (or whatever) psi. When that valve opens, the volume behind it doesn't create an artificial drop in compression ratio because it's already pressurized.

If the valve is at the gauge end, and the whole length of the hose is part of the compression volume, that pressure is allowed to bleed during every engine exhaust cycle and your pressure reading will be lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back