Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Compressive Buckling in Vacuum Pipelines and Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LBishop

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2011
CA
I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction with a small prolem related to vacuum systems and buckling.

Basically, I'm trying to find a model that can produce the buckling limits of thin walled vessels or pipes subject to compression. Does such a thing even exist?

My searches so far have come up empty, the only promising lead was blocked by my employer anti-spam system so any inisight would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a little confused...

By "looking for a model".....what exactly do you mean ?

(This sounds a lot like MBA psychobabble...)

If you are looking for a methodology...ASME VIII

If you are looking for an explanation, I suggest:

- Bednar; "Pressure Vessel Design handbook"
- Megusy; "Pressure Vessel handbook"

Google "pipe collapse pressure", if you're looking for external pressure caused effects in the transverse direction, as what might be termed "ring collapse". "Compressive buckling" would normally indicate your interest was in the axial direction and you were looking for the Euler buckling load of the pipe column.

Let your acquaintances be many, but your advisors one in a thousand’ ... Book of Ecclesiasticus

As "Big" " indicates; there is collapse and buckling. Well casing and tubing is (should be) checked for collapse, buckling, (and burst and tensile load). So , I expect API 5 will have guidelines for calculations (not my background).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back