Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Connecting Link; 3/8" Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVIDSTECKER

Mechanical
Mar 23, 2005
US
I had this posted over at the gear and pulley group, but didn't get any replies so I thought I'd try this group.
I'm looking for a full strength rated connecting link for 3/8" Grade 100 chain that will fit in the pockets of this chain wheel.
This is for a close loop system for moving carts though an assembly line.
I'm making the drive with the chain wheel and the customer is somehow making the connection, I assume by welding a link that they have cut and welded back into place.
The Figure 8 connectors are too big for this application.
In the marine industry we use Stud Link chain and there are Kenter links that work with the windlass, but that type of chain starts at 3/4".
I've been looking PEWAG chain and accessories, but they only go down to 22mm.
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.
Best regards, David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tugboat, yes, I've looked at Stud link, roller, Pewag, and standard conveyor.
We manufacture windlass' and I do have a 3/4" chain wildcat casting pattern, so that would be easy to provide.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to stick with what they are currently using since they have over 46 factories.
Some need replacement parts and some need complete, new systems, so I'm hoping to keep them all uniform if possible.
Being in the marine industry yourself, I'm sure you know how hard it is to get people to change their ways.
One of my biggest pet peeves is the round mooring for U-bolts.
They are about the weakest shape you can make, yet I can't get designers to realize that.
Oval or pear shape would be way more bang for the buck.
Great hearing from you.
Best regards, David

Schoellhorn-Albrecht

3DDave, Thank you the information.
Our firewall is blocking your link because it goes to Germany.
This government oversite of our system is a real pain.
I'll need to get the mechanical data for the chain material, but I think I could machine and EDM a link like this.
I think I could replace the cam pin with a hydraulic rated tapered pipe plug to cause the spreading force.
The ASTM and MIL standards I have only list performance requirements of the chain, no tensile or yield.

It looks to me that your links have the wrong aspect ratio to use this method.

link_mesnfn.png

3DDave, are you referring to the Connecting method or the Manufacturing method?
My first thoughts are to water jet the basic shape, radius the ID, and drill and tap for a tapered pipe plug.
Next, maybe heat treatment, then wire EDM.
Might switch those two, I need to get a better idea of what the kerf cut would be.
Please share your thoughts, I'm working off of first impressions until I know better.

Best regards, David

3DDave, I'm still working on steel types right now.
I've been running the numbers for the ends of the chain link and I'm getting some huge yield requirements.
It's no wonder why the chain makers are so secretive about their alloy's.
Best regards, David

I wanted to say Thank you to everyone that responded to this thread.
I have 2 other options for this project now so I'm going to move on until this comes up again.
Best regards, David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back