Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact shell to shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

scandroglio

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2007
IT
Hello, to all forum, I need help about contact shell to shell or solid to shell.
When I'm going to define the shell surface I use the command behaind:

*SHELL SECTION, ELSET=Elset_name, MATERIAL=steel
1 ,

and don't use the command OFFSET so I have the reference surface coincident with

midsurface.

When I'm going to define the surface for contact I use the string behaind:

*SURFACE, NAME = plate, TYPE = ELEMENT
Elset_name,

After I define the other surface, that I need to doing the contact and define the

surface interaction and contact pair.

*SURFACE INTERACTION, NAME = cnt_interf
*FRICTION
0.1 ,0.0 ,0.0 ,0.0

*CONTACT PAIR, INTERACTION=cnt_interf
...., ....

After I start the analysis and what I see is the contact not before the midsurface,

for example 0.5 mm upper, but on midsurface.
So I see that the abaqus in this case don't "see the shell thikness".
How can I solve it?

P.S.:
If I make an offset=SPOS (for example) in shell section the contact going on whell

but I want that is going also if I define the midsurface of the shell!!!

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends which contact formulations you are using.

Section 29.2.1 in the users manual shows which formulations in ABAQUS/Standard account for shell thickness - note that node to surface, finite sliding contact does not account for the shell thickness.

Also, you may need to specify SPOS or SNEG for the shell contact surface normal direction.

Regards

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

Thk, I see if I insert small sliding in contact pair keyword also if I use node to surface formulation the thikmess is considered, but how can I see when I chose surface to surface or node to surface iteraction?How can chose one or other one?

*CONTACT PAIR, INTERACTION=int1, TYPE=SURFACE TO SURFACE

TYPE=NODE TO SURFACE is the default formulation. This is used if you don't specify a TYPE=

Regards

Martin Stokes CEng MIMechE

Jacopo

possible to attach the *.inp or *.cae file, as i am doing a modelling with shell to shell element contact as well. and i am totally new on this function, many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back