Copper Comparison C110 vs. C11000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8eng

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2023
US
Hello,

I have a small copper bar (.5"x.75"x6") that is used for water flow, and get soldered to small tubes, almost like a main water valve that distributes water to smaller tubes along the copper bar. The part is originally made from C110 copper bar. A manufacturer is quoting to make it out of C11000 instead of C110. Based on my research, the materials seem almost identical from what I can tell. Any recommendations to these two copper alloys and if the alternate material option will suffice?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One is more pure than the other. They are not identical. With that said, I don't see any reason they could not substitute for each other in your application. Corrosion and erosion would be your biggest concerns and slight impurity shouldn't impact those. However, you may have to prove the the less pure alloy doesn't have specific impurities such as lead. I know Europe is very strict about lead but don't know specific values off the top of my head.

In these higher purity Cu grades erosion can be a big deal.
High velocity hot water can really eat them up.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

There is no difference between your C11000 and C110 alloy copper. The Unified Numbering System (UNS) for copper and copper alloy was originally developed at a three digit system. It was later expanded to a five digit system to cover the more alloys. the original alloys all added "00" to the end of their numbers. The easiest way to verify this is if you know the chemical composition from your suppliers MTR or certification. C11000 ETP Copper will have a minimum of 99.90% Copper (including silver). The vendor should have also included the ASTM standard that this was certified to.

I think the original post misstated the question, and the OP really was asking for comparison between C101(00) and C110(00) based on their subsequent post. As Stephen said, original question was comparing the same material to itself.

Assuming that mrfailure is correct and the post is about the difference between C11000 ETP Copper and C10100 OFE Copper (formerly known as CDA 110 and CDA 101), then yes there are only two difference between the two materials. The first being that C10100 (CDA 101) is 99.99% pure copper and C11000 (CDA 110) is 99.90% pure copper. All of the mechanical ranges and properties are the same, the only noteworthy physical property difference is that C10100 (CDA 101) is a slightly better conductor of electricity than C11000 (CDA 110).

FYI.. C11000 is commonly also called ETP, Electrolytic Tough Pitch and C10100 is commonly called OFE, Oxygen-free Electronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back