Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cost of structural steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzalzali

Structural
Mar 13, 2003
US
I know prices have gone up, i am looking at the RS means 2002 edition (i know its a little old) the cost of structural steel is roughly 1350$ per ton (2000 pounds)just material, and 1500$ incl labor overhead and profit, i am aware of the city indecies and the whole nine yards, and it can change day to day, but what is a good rough estimate of the cost of a ton of steel now-a-days? Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I performed a rough estimate of a construction job earlier this year in conjunction with a specialty steel contractor and the rates for the summer of 2004 were twice that of a year earlier. I used RSMeans 2004 which is based on 2003 values and doubled the material costs and the results were very close to our contractors estimate - theirs was based on current quotes and did not reflect what the actual prices would be in another two, three or more months had the job been given the go-ahead. If you look in RSMeans you will find a table that lists the historical averages ( or percent increases), from those averages you can extrapolate to a future date to come up with a reasonable estimate of the current prices to be expected after factoring the volitivity in steel prices over the past year, Good Luck!

Thanks pmkpe, do you recall what the material cost per ton he quoted you? that is the reason i do not want to depend on the 2002 data

I did not receive costs per ton I was estimating a total job independently of the contractor, they broke out their overall costs related to steel but I did not need or ask for specifics. If you call around to the local fab shops/steel suppliers they will tell you what the current rates are.

Currently the price for structural steel is approx $0.75/lb CND or $0.63/lb USD.

Last year the prices were:

$0.50/lb CND or $0.41/lb USD

The best bet is to call a supplier and get the price.

Currently a large amount of scrap steel is being shipped to China which is driving up prices for suppliers.

BFPartners is absolutely right--you need to call a supplier and ask. Not only do you not want to use figures from 2 years ago, you don't want to use figures from 6 months ago. And when you call, don't forget to ask about surcharges--those have been going up and up even when the steel price is stable. Supposedly things are leveling off.

Here are some price index websites:
(you'll need to create an account to use the CRU site properly)

Hg

BF Partners....Are your costs the costs to purchase the steel components from the fabricators, (ex. purchasing plate, channels, w-sections, etc)? I would assume the fabrication of connections, etc. & installed costs would be higher?

$0.70/lb is about right for W's, L's, and C's.
Plate cost slightly more, and tubes cost considerably more.( I think about $1.05/lb for tube)
Also, I'm sure geography (and project size)will play into it.
The costs have actually leveled off in the last few months. We actually saw a drop in price for the above mentioned shapes. Tube is holding strong at a premium. For the difference in price it is worth the time to compare HSS and W columns in regards to loading and weight.

The costs are for general fabricated beam members such as W, WWF, S, C, and L sections(c/w copes and holes for end clip bolts). HSS and other tubing may cost more therefore try to avoid HSS when possible. For plates, remember most steel sheets are supplier in a 4 x 8 or a 3 x 6 sheet size and this will dictate the fabrication cost. Smaller more complex fabrications will drive prices up as well if you are supplying steel for a highrise, the costs will decrease. Remember buy bulk. Most suppliers have a beam say W8 x 18 that is mass produced and an engineer trying to reduce the steel will only end up paying premiums for a non-stock section rather than using the industry norm!!

As for supply, fabrication and installation costs, some where around $5/lb - $6/lb. USD (Again depending on location!!)

ENR Quarterly cost reports are a very good source for estimating project costs if you just need a ballpark figure. The best source for this information is from several of your area suppliers. Nearly all of them would do backflips to get a heads-up on a possible new project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back