Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Countersink/bore, chamfer and spotface annotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanekPop

Mechanical
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I am looking through BS 8888 and its forest of referred standards for an equivalent section to BS 308:part 2 Section 7.9 - Chamfers, countersinks, counterbores and spotfaces. I would like direction to the correct ISO standard if possible. I wish to know the ISO method of annotation of these features, and the discussion on using CBORE, CSK, SFACE and DEEP as opposed to the symbols for counterbore, countersink and depth.

Thanks, Janek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Janek,

On the spelling out of the above mentioned features I would have to say it's acceptable using the symbol or verbage. I would consider that a company standard. I personally like using symbols but once I used the Square symbol and got a nasty call from the machine shop. So when in doubt keep it simple.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 4.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

I will assume then that there is no equivalent ISO section to BS 308:part 2 Section 7.9 - Chamfers, countersinks, counterbores and spotfaces. This is very hard to believe.

Heckler-
You should inform the machine shop that they have a responsibility to their customer (you!) that they need to have a copy of the drafting standard within arm's reach of any employee in the shop. It is not your job to limit the symbols on the drawings to the ones they know! Any symbol put forth by the standard that your company has agreed to abide by is fair game. It sounds to me like your machine shop has a need for an attitude adjustment!

Tunalover

Our machine shop didn't like the symbols at first. I told them it is the way it is, learn it...get used to it. Everything is fine now.

Chris
Sr. Mechanical Designer, CAD
SolidWorks 05 SP3.1 / PDMWorks 05
ctopher's home site (updated 06-21-05)
FAQ559-1100
FAQ559-716

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back