Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Cracks in Metal Stud Site Wall 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DB27

Structural
May 21, 2014
US
Has anyone seen a site wall constructed similarly to this? The 6ft tall site wall appears to be constructed with metal studs,foam, and stucco coating. I was able to detect vertical supports at 6' on center, which seems like a wide span for this freestanding wall. I'm looking to determine the optimal method for repairing the cracks.

IMG_4339_-_Copy_tnletr.jpg

IMG_4341_-_Copy_buqiuh.jpg

IMG_4320_-_Copy_r0gmn5.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is that line in the soil parallel to the wall? Did this thing rotate? I have never seen a stucco/steel stud site wall, but could see a way to make it work with columns embedded into a footing and horizontal members top and bottom spanning between vertical supports. I believe you should first determine if the wall can even work and if the cracks were due to movement, which is my best guess, before attempting to repair, else you may be taking on liability for something that doesn't even work in the first place.

Look at the curves on that one. Yikes. Tell them to tear it down and build it form CMU or concrete like they should have from the beginning. What part of Florida are you in?

I have seen short ones of these use for things like screening trash cans.
No continuous footing and continuous tie at the top just will never work.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I was hired by a property management company to provide observations and recommendations for the wall at the request of a homeowner. The site wall separates a residential neighborhood and an apartment complex.

It appears that the wall is being lifted by the roots of the large trees which run parallel to the site wall. The cracking in the 3rd photo is where the wall sections "interlock". It doesn't appear that they are rotating in the horizontal plane.

I agree that this likely doesn't work as designed without a continuous tie-beam at the top of the wall and a properly designed footing.

I will have to explain to them that the cracks will continue to occur unless the wall footing and framing members are enhanced or replaced with CMU or concrete. This is in the Tampa area. I find it hard to believe an engineer actually designed or signed off on this in the first place.

From that link: "The steel reinforced post and panel form of construction makes the Royal Foam privacy fence panels extremely sturdy allowing it to be engineered to meet and/or exceed all City, County and State wind load requirements."

Anyways, it's a fence, not a wall.

Posts and panels.

Remove damaged panels. Move posts that are affected by roots. Fit new panels.

This needs engineering in Florida?

MintJulep said:
Remove damaged panels. Move posts that are affected by roots. Fit new panels.

This needs engineering in Florida?

I agree with that repair method.

Per FBC 1616.2.1 design requirements: Fences not exceeding 6 feet (1829 mm) in height from grade may be designed for allowable wind speeds of 75 mph (33 m/s) fastest mile wind speed or 115 mph (40 m/s) 3-second gust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back