Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating engraved text 'wrapped' around a cylinder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynotion

Mechanical
Jun 25, 2013
NO
Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a great easter holiday for those of you who celebrate that.

So like the subject specifies I'm interested in how you guys would go about this. Usually when engraving something I just create the text planar to the surface and extrude the text with 'subtract' away from the body. This works very well when you have a planar body, however I have some issues figuring out the best way to this around a cylindrical body. The orientation where I specifically encounter problems is to engrave horizontal text wrapped around a standing bottle.

What I have been doing so far, while working well, is complicated and takes a fair amount of time.

Process I have been using is creating a line wrapped around the cylinder, and using the Curve -> Text tool with 'On face' parameter. This works very well and is easy to do. From here on I create an offset sheet surface at the depth I want my engraved text, project the text onto the offset surface. After that I create the bodies of the letters I want to subtract with Mesh Surface -> Ruled tool. This is a tedious process for a lot of text, and I have to create bodies using the sew tool since I produce sheet surfaces from my Mesh Surface.

I suppose I could make a planar vector for each letter and subtract that from my cylindrical body, but that would leave me with planar surfaces in the engraved text, and not a uniform depth of the engraving.

Do anyone of you guys have any suggestions to improve my process, or maybe even a better way of doing it alltogether?

Thanks in advance,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just another thought I had, I can extrude each letter individually subtracting it from the cylindrical body and using an offset surface at the desired depth to use as stop parameter 'Until next'.

This will still be tedious, but probably faster than the way I have been doing it earlier. Anyway, if anyone has better suggestions - feel free to share them :)

OK, I've gone ahead and created an NX 7.5 example (see attached) hoping this covers your version.

After wrapping the text, do a...

Insert -> Trim -> Divide Face...

...and then using...

Insert -> Synchronous Modling -> Offset Region...

...select the individual faces of the 'text' and give it the desired engraving depth.

Anyway, take a look and see if this works and gives you what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a399de31-5e40-4b80-aece-1c6595097e85&file=Engraved_Text_Example.prt
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back