Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cross sections and linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

JycoCAD

Automotive
Mar 10, 2010
US
Using NX5, i want to cut a cross section of a part and then put in a seperate file. Usually I make a sketch and use the cut/paste technique and it works. However sometimes I cannot use this because it says that it is "linked" to solids (usually doesnt work on the files i need most).

Any suggestions on a better way to do this or how to turn that link off? Im coming from Catia, so usually you can just "isolate" a sketch, does NX have a similiar function.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I tried it but it still doesnt work. I actually found out that if i add a "parent" to the part i am able to copy/paste that way.

There has to be a feature turned off on the file or something.

Do you want to have the curves linked to the solid (when the solid changes, the curves update), or do you just want to use them as a starting point for your new sketch (not associated to the solid)?

Create a fixed datum plane (non associative) where you want the cut; now you can use the 'section' or 'intersect' commands (Insert -> curve from bodies menu). Make sure the associative command is turned off, then export your datum plane and curves to a new file. Start a new sketch on the datum plane and use the 'add existng curves' command to bring in the section curves to the sketch.

Not an easy 2 click solution, but it will work and it will not try to link to the original body.

Thats what i did in the beginning if you see my original post. I would say most of the time that works, but when i get files from certain automotive companies, it does not. Which leads me to believe that there is some option switch or some checked-checkbox somewhere affecting it.

Your original post states that you made the sketch and exported it out, I suggest making the section (not in a sketch) exporting it out then adding those curves to a sketch if need be.

If you start with a sketch, NX will try to link it to the body.

Just as a 'heads-up', starting in NX 7.5 you can Copy & Paste all or part of a Sketch, from one part to another, and you will have the option of adding the Copied 'Sketch elements' to an existing Sketch or to use them to create a new Sketch.

Attached is a copy of the 'What's New' entry for this enhancement.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back