Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CWI Study Guide 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

67fordgalaxie500

Structural
Jan 27, 2008
Hello everyone, I have been in the welding field for over 20 yrs. I am going to take the AWS CWI API 1104 Exam on 4-4-2008. I have read all I can find on this subject in this fourm and others like it. I have bought the follwing books to study: Certification Manual, Welding Inspection Handbook, Welding Inspection Technology, Part B Examination Book of Specifications, API Standard 1104, and an Algebra book to refresh my math skills. I have been reading and studing this Material for about 2 months. I wished I could find some of the questions that might be on the test or some that are close to the test.I think I should have started studing earlier. I am thinging that I should have gotten the AWS API-M:2006 Study Guide for API Standard 1104 - would this be a good investment?

I would like to know if anyone could tell me some things to study that maybe more important than others.....

Thank you,
Austin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Austin, I don't think it is worth buying the study guide to API 1104. 1104 is a pretty simple (and small) code book. The code portion is open book, so you should have no problem as long as you are familiar with the code. If you are not, read it over a few times and flag area's (if you are still allowed to flag)that you think might be on the exam. Remember not to go off of memory on anything, always confirm it in the code.

Hows your knowledge on NDE? There are always questions on different methods of NDE that often throw guys for a loop. Especially if they are past welders and don't have much inspection experience.

NDE Non-destructive Examination or NDT Non-Destructive Testing. Its been a while but there were questions on Radiography (RT), Liquid Penetrant Examination (PT or LPI), and Magnetic Particle Examination (MT or MPI).

I am sure that it talks about NDE in one of the books you bought.

I found that you need a very broad knowledge to challenge the exams. I have sent four of my inspectors (all well experienced welders and new QC) for the course and exams. One passed all three exams, the three others all failed one of the exams. When AWS sent back the results, they all did poorly on the NDE questions, materials and processing, and weld symbols.

I would take a Codewest class or go to Miami and take the class before the test also I found that having a study partner helped a great deal, when taking the Practical you will have a fake code to judge the specimens by so read everything do not assume anything... the only part of the test that you will be able to use your memory is the Fundamental 150 questions, if you have the practice test take it over and over and time yourself try and get it under the 2 hour time limit, this will allow for you to re-read the questions you are not sure of also this will give you confidence when you are under the gun taking the real test... good luck and study!!

What and where can I find a Practice test? What would be a good calculator to get and lean how to use....are there some that you can enter certain calculations before the exam and maybe conversions from in. to mm standard to metric. The only questions that I have are in the Certification Manual for welding inspectors.

Thanks Gapinspect I will study all I have on NDE NDT.

Butchcwioam Code west has a school close to me but has no CWI class at this time. That was the first place that I looked. Thanks for the info on the Practical, is that from the Part B Examination book of specifications?

67fordgalaxie500 I don't think you can use a conversion calculator or a programmable calculator. I took two $5 calculators. The conversions were on the back page of the test booklet so all you need to do is spend a little time and do some conversions so you are comfortable. The courses AWS offers are excellent and I would look at one of those.

http://files.aws.org/certification/docs/cwi_sched_22508.pdf
Highly recommend taking the week long seminar, if you can fit it in, they cover alot of material in a week and I found it to be well worth the $$.

I do not have the practice test. Only the questions out of Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors, I will be taking the seminar in Chicago and the exam to follow on 4-5-08. Does anyone know how many people will be at the seminar? I have studied very hard for 3.5 months. Hope I am ready.

Thanks again for all in input.
Austin

How did your test go? I took the exam too on 4/4, in Ohio at the Hobart Ins. of Welding. What did you think of the test?

Hello Everyone, Now the test is over, I think I did ok.....not sure yet, when I find out that I passed I have a few books that will be for sell. I had bought them before the seminar, and received them when I got there. I will let anyone know when I do..........Thanks again to everyone on all the shared info.....

Take care

Hello everyone, the results cam in this morning, I am happy to say I am a CWI. Thanks again for all the help.

Take care.

Congrats 67fordgalaxie500. Welcome to the club.

About your books. I would keep them. They are great reference and you will be kicking yourself later for selling them when your in a bind.

I have two copies of those books I will keep one copy but I would like to help someone else, if they are willing to study. Not just to have and gather dust.

Hello, I too have been in the welding field for over 20 years. I am not a certified welder but would like to be. What books or course would I need to complete so that i can become certified?

A certified welder or a certified welding Inspector
go to the AWS.ORG website and you can get the information you will need to become a CWI
Good Luck
Study... study... study then study some more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back