Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dairy explosion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wonder if their pit vent fans were working?
I have been in dairies that also had explosive gas monitors.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Where did you see a photo of the building after the explosion?

You would have to question the milking practices at this dairy. There is no need to force milk cows into such tight confines. They will follow each other in column into and out of milking sheds.

Apparently it's the front end of a cow where most methane is emitted - belching.

Politicians like to panic, they need activity. It is their substitute for achievement.

Looking at the aerial images I think the cows stay in the shed and the grass is brought to them.

In the ME the cows used to live in air conditioned sheds due to the heat - better conditions than most of the workers...

This has some pictures of the damage
And this looks like an internal shot some time ago.

Screenshot_2023-04-13_130231_iuz8jc.jpg

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Most large dairies that I know of have the cows on confinement all of the time.
That way they can control the feed easier.
The feed is a mixture of silage, grain, and supplements.
There is enough room for all of the cows to lay down comfortably.
But all of these confinement barns have manure pits under them.
Many smaller operation still graze the cows.
Come milking time the cows darn near push each other into the milking parlor.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I don't suppose that they had an ammonia based refrigeration system?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I learned something. I knew that pigs and chickens were treated like that, but not milk cows. What has the world come to?

its not legal in alot of countries, the amount of drugs they have to pump into them is quiet astounding.

Its the reason why most USA dairy products are prohibited in the EU. The milk is rammed with antibiotics and hormones.

There have been quite a few international agreements been stopped at the first gate negotiating because they can't get past the food regulations which also includes chlorine washed meat.

It was only last year that EU banned routine dosing of antibiotics in animals.

In the USA antibiotics can only be used to treat sick animals and the animal there is a certain withdrawal time after treatment before the animal can be slaughtered.

are you sure, Tug...

"The report, released yesterday by the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), reveals that US cattle producers use more than 40% of all medically important antibiotics—those that are also used in human medicine—sold for use in US livestock, and use them three to six times more intensively than many of their European counterparts.

NRDC says this overuse of antibiotics is a strategy used by the beef industry to offset heightened disease risks in feedlots, where cattle are routinely fed antibiotics to prevent disease whether or not they are ill, a practice that the World Health Organization discourages and that the European Union will no longer allow starting in 2022."

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Antibiotics has always been a sore point with UK farmers. There use is recorded at a national level and if a farm goes over there is a inspection triggered.

As soon as the beasts are inside more than a week the infection rates sky rocket.

My uncle and son run a 350 beast dairy farm. Haven't been on in 30 years but even then it was a very fine line with antibiotics in the milk. If they messed it up then a week's worth of product would be down the drain.

So much so my uncle would hand milk cows on them and then run tests on it with agar plates until they were milking clean again.

And there was always a bit of a panic when snow lasted longer than 5 days and they wouldn't go out.

18000 beasts in one site is collosal density, infection rate must be collosal.

It would be political suicide in Europe to accept the meat. And it would be also political suicide to accept any trade agreement without the restrictions being removed on chlorine wash and antibiotic load.

It's been the same stalemate since the 80's I think.

It would be political suicide in Europe to accept the meat.

Bingo. It's all propaganda about American meat. The issue isn't antibiotics or safety, it's the feed lot. USA meat is cheaper because it's more industrialized. EU spreads propaganda so it's residents accept the higher prices.

Personally, I'd rather not buy feedlot meat but the alternatives are boutique because feed lots lower demand for free range meats.

It's just marketing hype? From the above link I posted.

Clipboard01_cc1kfo.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back