Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dairy explosion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect the complete ban eu wide came in because USA battery practices were coming into some less stringent nation's with no laws on the subject. The UK plus central EU nations had more stringent rules anyway before the EU excited.

The chlorine wash is another issue. The stats on food poisoning tell the tale on that one.

I like my Scottish beef that's fed on malt from the local distillery when it is inside.

Depends what your level of safety is. Antibiotics screw with your gut bacteria, low level consumption daily might not kill you but it's not good for you.

I am quite happy we are not exposed to it.

American meat is tested for antibiotics and cannot be sold if there are traces. There are also rules with regards time between treatment and slaughter.

Years ago the Europeans used to claim American meat had rat content because there was an established limit. The Europeans simply didn't have a limit but somehow American meat would always be contaminated to the limit.

I don't know...

Clipboard01_kmun0b.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I suspect that as a university based organisation, CIDRAP would be subject to some sort of peer review... just a thought. I suspect anyone quoting NRDC may have credibility issues.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

My son is working at a beef cattle feed lot.
They are feeding 19,000 cattle.
He gets paid extra for bringing his own horse and they supply feed for his horses.
It's a young cowboys dream job.
I haven't been there but as far as I know, the cattle are outside.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Search for manure vacuum turns up this
vac-9_mfdhrw.jpg
I can see how a this class of device could be an event initiator. I am not implying this particular MFGR's equipment is or ever was at the event site.

Keeping 18000 cows healthy in a operation like this is no small effort, Many details to keep track of.

There is no detectable antibiotic residual in any US produced dairy products.
Animals that on antibiotics for health reasons are tracked and milked separately.
They may use the milk to feed calves, but it doesn't go into the products.
Feedlots tend to buy and sell a lot more animals than dairy.
They use a lot of antibiotics when they bring in new animals to minimize disease spread.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

I can't see anything changing on the topic.

To be honest I object to food of that nature getting transported that distance when it could be made locally.

Anyway if it was allowed it would mean prices in the USA would go up significantly. And people were pissed off enough when the local gas price went through the roof due to European demand.

That may be on the horizon, as transportation costs increase.

-----*****-----

-Dik

I haven't had a chance to use this line since the rumours that NASA was going to put a cow in orbit and milk the publicity for all that it was worth.
Explosion in a Dairy!
Would that be;
"The herd shot round the earth"?
Sorry for that.
I know that I am being udderly ridiculous.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Would you dig a big pit in a field to bury them? That's a lot of beef and it could take a few years for them to compost. It would be anerobic and likely quite 'smelly'. As the pile of beast diminished, you would likely have to top it up with more soil. How would you handle that problem?

-----*****-----

-Dik

During the last foot and mouth out break in the UK and cull they made collosal pyres made out of wood and burned them. The fat in the carcasses adds to fuel.

And it stinks

Yep giving a particularly nasty greasy smelly plume.

And to add insult to injury they used the old stock pile of old wood railway sleepers, tared and 50 years of sewage getting dumped on them.

Normally in the UK the bio incinerators have a exhaust gas temp of 650 degs and dwell of 6 seconds.

That went out the window and the beasts were bolted and then dumped on the fires with a JCB.

And if your wondering why I know the incinerator stuff I did a fea job on the one through in Edinburgh

"50 years of sewage getting dumped on them" where did that come from?
I believe most waste from passenger cars is collected here, and disposed of.

For over 50 years, The toilets in railway passenger cars dropped out the bottom onto the ties.
I remember travelling by train when I was young and looking down the toilet with the flush pedal held down and watching the ties flash by.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I was on a train in France once where I noticed the same thing.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back