Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dealing with a lazy co-worker 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerDave

Bioengineer
Aug 22, 2002
US
We've all had them and hell I even used to be one, but that was when my project work effected me and my time schedule (development related).

Now I'm in a workplace in which there are 4 people doing the same job as me. One is the manager and as predicted this guy unfortunately now is forced to have alot of meetings, etc. But he has always been an incredibly hard worker and is bright and sets a great example. Pretty much the best boss you could work for, seriously. Gives you the resources to get stuff done, etc.

Another coworker is a colleague of mine from grad school. He is a great worker as well and is the calm energy there. Whenever there is a crisis, he is calm and quick to fix things or his part of it. He also covers the early hours on most days which I'm forever grateful to him for, since with my family life it's tough for me to go in extremely early every day.

Finally there is the lazy coworker in question. He is a chronic procrastinator, stealthy at dumping shared work off on me and a high strung nervous mess. He takes alot of vacation time (with little foreplanning, which is ok with the boss) but also has taken a few sick days etc.

He rarely takes initiative, but tries to salvage his lazy reputation by going in at odd hours and on weekends to make up for the fact that he reads Cnn.com during the day, studies his books (because we have some licensing exams specific to our field that he has a test on soon). Or even worse a married coworker who has a rough marriage will sit in his office for an hour a day and he'll flirt with her.

The work he doesn't do, gets directly dumped into my lap or my coworkers.

My boss seems aware of it, but his only weak spot is that he doesn't do much about it. I think he doesn't have the heart to fire this guy and the guy does the passable amount of work to get by.

I talked to someone who used to work with him in the past and he confirmed much of what I have seen since I returned to this group 1 year ago. The other guy in the group who is a great coworker rarely talks to this guy and I guess it is due to hard feelings about how lazy this guy was, but it hasn't been expressly stated.

I want a Machievellan solution since I've tried a bit of direct confrontation with him that only solicited an angry response. I constantly mention to him about how many hours I'm working and how busy it is. He says he's been there late many times before as well (just not since I've been there as much). Actually he will stay late when I do, but I think that's just to make it look like he's doing something and putting in the same hours. When I'm not there on a certain day but have stopped in around normal quitting time, he was nowhere to be found.

The other thing that grates me, is I think he must know this, but makes no effort to change, constantly says how he's tired and also makes more money than both of us because he has a teaching gig tied to this as well.

I know I sound insensitive, but I don't want to constantly work tons of extra hours to make up for his laziness.

Despite all the guys shortcomings I do consider him as a friend, which makes it all the more difficult. But a horrible coworker.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're not his boss. You can ask him but you can't *make* him work more. If he reads cnn.com at work that is your boss' problem, not yours, even though it is of course annoying.

Make sure your own objectives and responsibilities are very well defined and do your part. Don't let the other guy dump work on you. As soon as objectives/responsibilities are clear, it will be easy to say: hey that's yours, I'm doing my stuff.

If your boss lets him get away with much less work than you do, there are a couple of options:
- talk with your boss about it, not necessarily easy but you said you have a good relationship with him, this could lead to a definitive solution.
- get as lazy as he is, this is what many people would do but obviously not satisfying nor constructive.
- ignore the situation and be glad with what you achieve.

Also, I don't believe people are "lazy" at work just because being lazy is fun. After having seen several examples I think people who hardly do any work at work almost invariably have major motivation problems or problems in their private life.

Lastly, another possibility is that you simply have much more energy and endurance than he has, and can work harder/longer than he can. Not everybody can do the same amount per day (see the "How much time do you actually spend working" thread). In that case it should be reflected in your salaries though.

'Sounds like my company - have we not met?

I agree; stand up for yourself, and by no means let this guy dump his load on you. Perhaps he golfs with the boss on weekends; regardless, your boss should seek someone else to carry his "extra" load.

On the other hand, he may indeed be an excellent teacher with income or other private issues and the fatigue of working two jobs is getting to him. That's no excuse to be reading CNN and be popping in and out, though. If he doesn't like working there and/or can't handle it, he needs to change course, both for your sake and truly his own. Covering for his shortcomings might wind up costing both of you.

Had a guy like that where I work. As far as his internet surfing went, I finally told my boss that he could disconnect my internet as well as his in order for the lazy employee to get to work. Things were that bad. Made him understand it was a major cause of his laziness. Boss said that was not necessary. Company let him go soon after. Kept my internet.

My wife is very cunning in dealing with these kind of situations. She has managed to get a number of objectionable co-workers to quit/get fired, normally without the person realizing it. However, from your posts I'm not sure you really want them to get fired.

I can appreciate your annoyance and agree that you shouldn’t be getting dumped on, that whole “lack of planning on your part doesn’t constitute an emergency on my part” thing. Put a stop to that, asap.
Assuming your co-working gets the majority of his work done (aside from what he dumps) why should it matter (to you) how/when he does it? His performance issues are your boss’ concern, not yours (until it affects you).

When my wife had a job outside the house she used to get all wrapped up in such matters (time, salary, etc.) and I had to keep reminding her that all she needed to worry about was whether or not she was adequately compensated for what she did irrespective of her peers.

In the absence of indifference…

As someone who is browsing the internet right now, I'll play devil's advocate and defend the guy.

Quote: "My boss seems aware of it, but his only weak spot is that he doesn't do much about it."

Well, he's the boss. Life isn't fair.

Quote: "I want a Machievellan solution since I've tried a bit of direct confrontation with him that only solicited an angry response. I constantly mention to him about how many hours I'm working and how busy it is."

Most people would have a negative response to nagging from someone who doesn't have authority over them.

Your "friend" (though most people don't dream of using Machievellan solutions againist friends) is getting through life the best he knows how. If he's happy and the boss is happy... the problem is you.

The problem isn't really EngineerDave nor the "friend" nor the boss. They are all doing what they do, right or wrong.

The problem is that Dave is in an environment that he can't get comfortable with. I wouldn't be comfortable either, and have restorted to several things I am not particularly proud (nor ashamed) of to try and correct the problems.

If letting it slide cannot be done I suggest moving on before you become the old me, the one my co-workers, wife, kids, and myself hated.

"If he's happy and the boss is happy... the problem is you."

Wrong.

Been in the same situation. Only solution that worked for me was 2-part:
(1) Telling said co-worker, "No, you do it," when he handed me stuff to do.
(2) Telling the bosses to stop having said co-worker "help" me with my tasks because he cost me more time than he gave me.

Eventually said co-worker got shuffled off to another manager who was more equipped to micro-manage him in the way he needs to be micro-managed.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

You can't change the world, but you can change how you interact with it. It sounds like you have little respect for your lazy co-worker, so why do you let that person have so much power over you feelings?

You say you aren't his boss, but apparently he's your boss since he's dumping work on you.
If he's not your boss, decline the work. The guy won't be able to do anything other than go to the real boss. At that point in time, the real boss will have to deal with the issues head on.

KENAT's cunning wife is the reason a lot of good people leave the firms employing those shrews. Manipulative, conniving and duplicitous are as nice of adjectives that I can express. I say, be the bigger man and do whatever it takes to finish the work and help your boss succeed. In the long run things will improve or change.

Hmm, civilperson you obviously know my wifes employment history well.

It is obviously Shrew like to use the system to get a manager that is physically and verbally abusive; discriminates by sex & race; submits fraudulent expense claims; fraudulently accrues extra leave; works their side job in the office; changes peoples leave slips to show them using up extra leave... (the list was extensive) fired. And using similar tactics on a co-worker that consistently bad mouthed, lied about and generally did everything possible to undermine her was obviously equally unpalatable.

As far as I can tell (though I may be slightly biased) she is the good worker and those she’s had to put up with are more accurately described as “Manipulative, conniving and duplicitous”. I’d think balancing approximately 3 times the normal workload for someone in her position would count as good worker, especially when the couple of people she’s had to deal with were incapable of doing their jobs properly but perhaps I’m mistaken.

It doesn’t sound as if the OPs colleague is quite that objectionable but when it gets to the point when another employee is making your life miserable, and you’ve taken every conceivable action to resolve the situation amicably, is it so wrong to take action?

Maybe you’re just a better person than I or my wife.

Quite a tough situation. I've decided to just focus on my work and minimize interactions with him. Hopefully he'll be shamed into working.

He does delegate. He has been here longer and at first it seemed he was just doing this to teach me stuff. That was great, but now I am learning stuff from other coworkers and have gained more responsibilities. He is quick to divert alot.

I don't think it will change. I've decaffeinated and am less stressed about him now. I'll just do my best and forgot about him for the moment.

An update is sure to follow. He's had most of the days off this month to study for his test.

Hahah, no the test seems to be the only thing that motivates him! This guy is your typical career student.

From what I know of his history he was about 46 when he got this job and before that other than teaching one or two classes he never held a real job in his life.

As much as I like him as a friend and an interesting person, as a co-worker it's quite difficult.

Over the past week I've felt better since I've been decaffeinating a bit, cutting out coffee due to a recurring heartburn problem. I'm a bit more mellow.

That being said he pissed me off today when he came in after teaching his class and asked how things were going.

As I was already in my 9th hour of an 11 hour day and currently a 45 hour work week in just the first 4 days, I wasn't in the best mood. I guess the hours are irrelevant, the fact that Im not even close to being caught up is more the issue.

He left, then later had the nerve to email me about what time this weekend we could work on some stuff to catch up.

Of course we need to do it, but it is a bit irritating to face the prospect of working with him over the weekend after he has had the majority of the week off. Seriously he couldn't have worked more than 6 hours to this point.

But at least if he wants to come in on the weekend he isn't being lazy for a change!

OK Dave listen. You sound stressed. You sound you are caught between wanting to (thinking you have to) work long hours and not wanting to work long hours because the other guy doesn't. Caught between hating the other guy because you think he is lazy and liking him because you think he is your friend.

Free your mind. Ignore the other guy. Don't be pissed off. Focus on your health now. Work a bit less. Be less stressed. A heart attack is not a privilege of 60+ yrs olds.

Epoisses,

You are absolutely right. My other coworker who was a colleague of mine in grad school and worked with him even before I came back to work there used to complain about how lazy he was.

Now I notice they rarely interact. During a day this colleague never goes to talk to the lazy one. It's always the other way around.

He must have adapted this as a strategy. When I complain about him, he just laughs, because he knows how it is.

That being said it still irks me that I'll have to come in this weekend in large part due to the fact that this guy is gone most of the time. And when he's there he doesn't do his work.

It's ok for him to take his vacation days, but it isn't ok for him to take a "vacation" while he's at work.

I am going to have to limit interactions with him which is tough because I've become his friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back