Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Default Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

lab2010

Aerospace
Mar 21, 2014
US
Is there a way to specify the hierarchy or order in which NX 8.5 uses for selecting objects? For example, when I hover over an arc, the default selection is the center of the arc. I have to wait until the ... for the Quick-Picks comes up and then select the arc. I would like to have the arc itself show up first since that is what I am hovering over. When I hover over a curve from a previous sketch to use as a constraint, the default selection is the entire sketch. I again have to wait until the ... appears and select the curve I am hovering over. Lastly, when I create object (eg. a revolve) of a sketch and then I want to select a single edge, the first option is the entire revolve. This one is particularly annoying as it keeps changing colors of the entire object every time I move the mouse. With my not so great graphic card, that makes things go slow.

These are just some annoying things that slow me down. If anyone has a recommendation on how fix, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you don't say what version you are on.
the screendump is from 7.5

There is exactly what you are asking for, in some aspects.
Turn on the "selection priority" in the selection bar, or learn the hotkeys seen in the attached image.

Regards,
Tomas

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2c3eab4f-897d-4fc1-a0fe-e97abd942e78&file=sel-prio.png
I said it was on NX 8.5. But I found the icon for the image you attached. I think that will solve the problem. thanks

Are you working in the Sketcher or perhaps while attempting to create some other object? I ask, because unless you're inside some other function, just placing your cursor over an arc should not try to select it's center.

If you are inside some function then what's happening is that the system is expecting that you might be selecting a 'point' hence the attempt to select the arc's center. In situations like this, there are a couple of things that you can try. Generally speaking, if the actual crosshair is INSIDE the arc it will try to select points on the arc, like it's center or ends, if it's not a full circle, however if the actual crosshair is OUTSIDE the arc it will pick the curve instead. Alternatively you can simply toggle OFF the 'Arc Center' icon on the 'Snap Point' toolbar in the Selection Bar. You also have the option to toggle OFF all of the 'Snap Points' by toggled OFF the 'Enable Snap Point' icon.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I never really got resolution on one of these issues.

If I make a new part, create a sketch, and then draw in 2 lines (one vertical, and one horizontal). I then create a 2nd sketch and draw in a line at some angle. Say I want to make this line parallel to the horizontal line. I click on the angled line in my current sketch and then click on the horizontal line in the first sketch. Rather than select the horizontal line, I have selected the entire first sketch. That does me no good. In order to select only the horizontal line in the first sketch, I have to wait for the quick-picks option to appear, select the line (which is the 2nd choice), and then I can do my constraint. This gets extremely annoying. I'm not sure why anyone would ever want to select an entire sketch, but I know I never do. How can I make it just select the line in the first place?

I never had this issue until I switched from version 6 to 8.5. I assume there is some preference somewhere, but I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks

This is one of those situations where you might prefer the behavior of the explicit 'Geometric Constraints' dialog instead.

BTW, I can help make your quick-pick behavior a little better whenever you use it, not just in this instance. Go to...

Preferences -> Selection...

...and in the section of the dialog labeled 'QuickPick' toggle OFF the 'QuickPick on Delay' option and hit OK. Now you will no longer have to 'wait' for the QuickPick mode, i.e. '...', to be enabled. You simply place your cursor over the object that you wish to pick, hold down MB1 for a half-second and the QuickPick dialog will appear. No need to wait and you'll never have to worry about accidentally going into the QuickPick mode when it was unwanted.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back