Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Design problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

windseaker

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2003
US
Material engineering question. What material to use as a horizontal torque situation, “shaft for auger”? (Example: the shaft material of a 20' soil scratcher) Would you use structural pipe or structural tubing?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Horizontal torque?

Regardless, I would use a material that is sufficiently strong for the application, and that meets whatever other unidentified requirements you may have.

-thank you MintJulep
I was asking about what kind of material to be use for
sufficiently strong for the application, is tubing or is it pipe and what kind ?

Pipe will definitely be round. In the case of tubing, you could be talking round or non-round, i.e. square. For a torque situation I would avoid anything which is non-round.

For a standard commercial grade pipe in carbon steel A53 gr. A is typically available where I am located.

EJL

A keyway or some other method of applying torque to the round shaft is required. Square tube is used in drill rigs by inserting into square holes of power head gear, this has benefit of applying torque no matter what position the shaft is at,(top to bottom).

Uh, windseaker, you really need to get an engineer to help you with this problem, right there alongside you so (s)he can understand exactly what you need.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

From my experience as a fabricator, I found pipe to often have a straight seam which can fail; whereas tubing is usually made better, and of better stuff, and to closer tolerances. It just seems to me that tubing is better than pipe.

cb92 has a good point - you want to make sure that it is not cold rolled. And asking between tubing and pipe is a loaded question as there are various varieties of both. Like others have said - if you don't know what the loads are how can we pick the material for you? The best I can say is try to find a similar application and see what they used.

And for torque applications a round tube is more efficient than square. Not that you can't use square - just that it will need to be bigger than the round for the same torque load.

ISZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back