Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Diameter dimension on detailed view

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk

Automotive
Jan 23, 2003
CA
Hello,

I am trying to recreate this old drawing in UG.
There is a detailed view of a cylindrical feature.
Only half of the cylinder is visible.
How can I make a dimension of its diameter with one extension
on the detailed view and the other extension just pointing in space with double arrow at the end. The original dimension was made manually with lines and arrow symbols assembled together and text instead of actual dimension. Can we do this in UGNX3?

Productive Design Services

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Easiest way I have found is to either create another detail view of the opposite side of the diameter, or just copy the view your detail is coming from. Dimension between those two views and move the extra view to adjust your dimension. Manualy modify the view border of the extra view so no geometry is shown, then format your dimension appropriately.

Doing it this way ensures the dimension is associative to the model.

You can actually click the "other side" of the cylinder in the main view. Then, using styles, you can turn off the appropriate leader lines. Try it, however I cannot promise it works with NX3.
So, when placing your dim, one click is on the main view, the other click is on the detail view.

OR

You can temporarily enlarge you detail view boundry to show the entire bore (i.e. both sides),
place your dimension,
turn off leaders,
resize detail boundry to required size.

Hope that helps.
J

Another option would be to manually create the detail view boundary so that the cylindrical centerline will be visible. Place a Centerline then add a Cylindrical diameter dimension between the centerline and the visible wall of the cylindrical area, adjust arrows and leaders appropriately. Using the centerline will automatically double the radial value, if you have your customer defaults set accordingly.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back