Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Difference between "fabricate" and "made"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romanos

Feb 16, 2010
RU
Hi Everybody! Could you please clarify my one question? Is any difference between two words: fabricate and made. For example, in SRM, we often find “make the repair parts” and “fabricate repair parts” – is it the same meaning or not?

Now we have a dispute: one point of view that “fabricate” means higher requirements to manufacturing of the repair part than “make”. I’m not sure that’s truth.
What do you mind about it?

Thank you.
Roman

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Fabricate often means 'weld or bolt a number of simple parts together to make a more complex component' as opposed to 'make' which would typically apply to a single complex part.

It's like the difference between a complex cast or machined component and one which has been welded together from simpler plates.

In my repair designs I usually use the word fabricate. I like it better. "blah blah ... fabricate a doubler from .025 inch thick 2024-T3 using the removed doubler as a temlate..." I read 'fabricate' and 'make' as fully interchangable.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

The world we live in is constantly being dumbed down. The word "fabricate" contains three syllables. The word "make" only one. It is the goal of technical writing these days to simplify the instructions given to workers.

My wife, as part of her APNP Masters in Nursing, was required to write "instructions" to people who may be at risk for Diabetes. One requirement for the paper was a minimum of multi syllable words.

It means the same thing.

The Boeing SRMs are written in "simplified English" since they are used worldwide. The word "make" is generally used. If "fabricate" is used in a Boeing SRM, it is probably a mistake that slipped thru the editting process.

I'm not familiar with other companies SRMs, so can't comment if you are referring to a non-Boeing SRM.

Wow, I didn't know I was fighting against the spectre of dumbing down the world to the lowest common denominator. I guess I just like polysyllabic words. One of my favorites is defenestrate, to throw out a window. BTW that should be template in my above message instead of temlate.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

Who cares which term is used? The actual engineering requirements should be clearly identified by the drawing/spec/srm.

I see lots of drawings with extraneous terminology. "drill" "rout" "... and discard" - who cares? Specify your requirements and let them get there however they need to. If we can't train our technicians well enough to determine how to make or fabricate parts, then at least we ought to write standard process specifications which remove all doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back