Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Different material for different elements. How to implement in Abaqus? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yunus9696

Mechanical
Apr 14, 2022
IR
Hello everyone

How could I assign a different material to each element in an Abaqus model?

for example:
I have two materials and a model consisting of 10 elements, I want to start the solution with Material 1 and if each element's von mises stress exceeds 5 KPa, Abaqus changes that element's material to Material 2.

How can I reach this goal?

If Scripting works please give me some hints on the needed commands.
If a UMAT subroutine is needed, please give me the same hints.

Application: Bone Healing Abaqus model

Best regards,
Yunus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can do it as long as it will be the same material model so that you only change its properties. Field variables can be used for this purpose. Check this thread for some hints:
However, in your case also USDFLD subroutine will be needed since you want to change the material properties using a criterion based on a solution output. See the documentation chapter about this subroutine for its syntax. There are also some examples of its usage in the documentation.

Thanks FEA way for your great hint.
I'm trying to learn and implement Abaqus subroutine USFLD and am struggling with the following Abaqus terms' meanings and applications:
1. field variables
2. material point (and material point quantities)

would anybody please help me with the definitions and examples of the above-mentioned terms since I haven't found any useful website links online.

Best regards,
Yunus.

Field variables are additional variables that control certain data (like material properties) during the analysis. They can be used also without the subroutines in some cases (this is described in the forum thread I linked before). Material points are basically integration points of finite elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back