Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the expansion tank require for a booster pumping with VFD system? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

moideen

Mechanical
May 9, 2006
AE
Does the expansion tank require for a booster pumping with VFD system for water distribution for multi-storey building? As we know the primary purpose of expansion tank to reduce the excessive staring of pumps in booster pumping. Yesterday, I visited on of building complex and found the all system built with expansion tank and then I was told pumps are only varying based set point without any cut off condition. thanks for your comments

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been watching this thread. I can't believe I am the one saying this but 1503 you took a very unprofessional tone early on and I have chosen to not engage as a result. I know some users have issues with my posts in the pub but I reserve my best behavior for the professional forums.

And I agree with everything Valvecrazy has said.

I don't like having to correct anyone on this subject, as they always get mad at me for doing so.

As for the pressure tank, there are many different kinds and sizes of variable speed systems. As was said, if the system is large enough to have a minimum flow that will satisfy a pump, many times no tank is needed. But even then sometimes a small pressure tank can smooth out the pressure giving the VFD time to react to changes in flow.

On smaller systems, many times the minimum system flow is not enough to cool the pump. I don't like recirculation lines in systems like this, as sometimes that gets the water hot as well. A small pressure tank can be used to let the pump/VFD go to sleep when the flow rate is lower than the pump can handle. Then the pressure tank delivers some water as the pressure drops to a lower set point and starts the pump again.

In the smaller domestic systems there are many different types of VSD control. Some use a transducer, others just a switch. Some have sleep mode, some don't. Some like the PID brand/model don't really work like a variable speed pump. As was said it is hard to figure the minimum speed needed for every different pump model and every different setting depth to properly set a variable speed device. So, the PID just goes into sleep mode anytime the flow rate is constant for 60 seconds. If the pressure drops, the VFD knows you are still using water, and ramps the pump up again. But it never really stays running and just varies the speed with the flow. In these type situations a pressure tank is very important, as the PID system works more like a hydro-pneumatic system than a VFD.

There are many problems with VFD's and just as many different band aids and ways to try and solve these problems. After learning that valve control can be as efficient or better than a VFD it was an eye opener. For the past 30 years I have been using valves to replace VFD's and solve a lot of problems. Simple is what makes a pump system dependable, and a mechanical control valve is very simple. 10-15 years ago I was chastised even more than today for saying such things. But after many years a lot of people are finally realizing a control valve is not a bad thing as they were taught, and VFD or VSD is not the magic energy saving device some people are so convinced it is.

Sorry if I got off topic, but much of it is related to the pressure tank question.

Thanks for all the comments. In Dubai, truth be told, I have not seen any booster pumping with CSV (CYCLE STOP VALVE) mechanism. maybe my limited experience in booster pumping. So far before the advent of VFD in booster pumping, SQUAR D type pressure switch was using to shut down and switching on. The diaphragm tank will set 2 psig lower than cut-in pressure set point. I have been carefully reading these heated discussions and very interesting and has refreshed the concept of VFD selection, a trend has everywhere in the industry that running behind VFD whether it is closed loop or open loop irrespective of in-depth analysis of its performance in operation and in the perspective of energy analysis. Still say, I am not expert, and I have to gain more knowledge…
However, why all leading manufactures (Grundfos, xylem.) whose latest published catalogues do strongly recommend VFD in booster pumping. Example, Grundfos latent intelligent control system for booster pumping in dominant static head system…
thank you
Moideen-Dubai

"However, why all leading manufactures (Grundfos, xylem.) whose latest published catalogues do strongly recommend VFD in booster pumping. "

I answered that question several times in the posts I deleted. As this thread could not get past the "VFD for heating and cooling water and constant speed for water supply, I disengaged from it.

If you like, I'd be happy to answer that question again, but you have to send me your email. You will find my addresses here. Up to you. Otherwise I'm finished with this thread.

After all this back and forth, I don't see where any flowrates or head, min /max demands and frequency requirements have been advised. Knowing this would make a difference to the best approach without all the academic round and round.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

When devising an engineering procedure to determine if VFD/VSD or a constant speed/CV, or for that matter both, should be provided, you don't have to know those things. Picking a target head and flow is all the details you need initially. From that you can make an infinite number of possible designs and evaluate each one for minimum to maximum capacity, efficiency, cost, time to construct, shipping and installation costs and operating/maintenance cost. I don't care if its diesel, electric, both or steam driven. You can select the equipment from any all pumps, VSDs, CVs and pipes you can find on the Internet. How will you do it? Devise the procedure that works for all pumping systems from the North Pole to Antarctica. All you need to produce is a flow chart of the procedure. It might just have two paths, "VSD for heating and cooling, CS/CV for water", but that doesn't work for me.

Although the Cycle Stop Valve was designed to mimic and replace a VFD on a constant pressure system, any valve will have the same effect on the performance of a pump/motor. I am not trying to promote Cycle Stop Valves. However, having started with VFD’s in their infancy, then making and selling valves for 30 years I have some insights that other people may not.

The first misconception most people have is that the big pump, motor, control manufacturers do R&D, promote, and sell devices to be more efficient and more economical. Nothing could be further from the truth. Big manufacturers promote and advertise what makes them the most money. Profit is the number one design characteristic. Efficiency and economy are the misinformation in the advertisements. No profit loving big company is going to mention, much less promote something that would make their equipment last several times longer than the 84 months they build into it.

A “fluid system” is the goal, and that has nothing to do with water. A “fluid system” is one where the products last a predicted amount of time, can’t be repaired, and must be replaced on a regular basis, keeping the cash flowing “fluidly” through the company. The most profitable products usually come at the expense of efficiency and economy, as that is what makes them profitable. They would not have big money to spend on all those advertisements and hiring droves of salespeople if their products really did last longer and save people money. I have been dealing with companies like the ones you mentioned since the early 70’s, and believe me, any changes they make/made where not to make products last longer and save money. Doing just the opposite of what a company like that is promoting is best for the consumer.

VSD/VFD has been a cash cow for the manufacturers. I will say this again. There are many good applications for a VFD, and many will even save energy. But when constant head or pressure is needed, or even when a slight variation in head is possible, a VFD is wasting energy. However, open systems are such a large part of the pump market they can’t keep from trying to get more of that pie. There is no end to the mis-information available about VFD efficiency in open systems. Once they get someone to drink that Kool Aid, they have a VFD warrior for life. Many people are so convinced that VFD’s always save energy they get mad instead of getting educated, lashing out at anyone who says otherwise. I need pretty thick skin to even mention this as you can see.

One thing they are good at is making things more "user friendly". They say you don’t even need to know the flow rates, head, frequency, or anything. Just pick any old pump and touch the “GO” button on a VFD to make it do any job needed and save energy all at the same time. Don’t worry your pretty little head about things like flow, head, efficiency. They have already taken care of that for you.

We finally learned even though the really big company was promoting it as a safe and effective cure all, it is not good to use Opioids for a headache. Now we need to learn a VFD is not the magic pill to save energy on every application.

Sure! Been doing valves for 30 years, after I quit drilling wells and building pumps. Mostly retired now but won't deny the influence. Also what gives me insight into things others cannot see. Just trying to not advertise on the forum. Doesn't make what I said any less accurate. It has given me thick enough skin to post the facts. Many people just won't speak up because they know they will get this kind of harassment from people who don't understand.

Ill post one more here. The last one, I promise.
IMO It also tends to give you tunnel vision, even though you don't notice it.
I have that sometimes. I once said, 35yrs ago, that fully turbulent flow boundary is at Nre = 4000. An aerospace engineer was kind enough to remind me that all the world does not fit inside a pipeline.

I actually don't have any problem with most all of what you say. I didn't actually say I disagreed with anything in any post except the "vfd for Heat/Cool, and CS/CV for water supply" logic, and that was actually Tugboat's comment. My comments were around my central argument, that the choice should be driven by any variation from a constant speed pump's BEP H/Q/P that the final design must allow to meet the system requirements. Functionality requirements often will even take precedence over actual energy efficiency, sometimes not, no matter what type of system is being designed, or what the fluid in the system is, and that's true no matter how huge or tiny the system is. I was once a constant speed CV "valve guy", if you will, just like you. The most economic design, get the most efficiency possible kind of guy. In fact that is still my personal preference, mostly because it is easier to justify a selection based entirely on $$$. It took me a long time to realize that all that engineering economics and power costs can quickly fly straight out the window when you meet up with some "operation savey guy" that values convenience of variable flow and head, rather than running one speed (+10%/-20%) all the time, or switching on and off every day, and/or building tanks everywhere to allow you to run constant speed until the tanks get filled up, then stop and restart 3 days from now. The problem is that the value of "flexibility in operations" is very much more difficult to evaluate on a spreadsheet that awards selection by lowest lifetime cost alone. A lot of guys never get that fact either. IMO, sincerely no offense meant, you could be one of them.

There are so many people who think like that I have considered having "tunnel vision" many times in 30 years. I always go back and check the pump curves to see what I missed. The pump curves never change. Every once in a while I find something from someone willing and brave enough to say VFD's waste energy. I try to go to their defense, because I know they will be treated like this. I don't think it is me that has tunnel vision. You can dismiss what I say because "hey, he sells valves!" Or you can get out a pump curve and see what I am talking about. And remember, the pump curve doesn't add back the losses of the VFD itself or he efficiency at lower speeds. But "I sell valves". So, here is something from someone else for you to tear apart.

I was still editing and adding. Sorry. I don't find these tablets very convenient for writing a long post in one go.

"Flexibility in operations beats economic selection alone almost every time". As long as rpm/head is still enough to get the job done. That's what sells so many VFDs.

Ok so we finally agree. VFD’s can be a convenient way to control a pump system but is not efficient. Sure, I believe “flexibility in operations” is important. Pump systems need to be able to handle anything the customer wants to do with the water from zero to max flow being drawn for a minute or 24 hours a day. A VFD is an easy way to maintain the pressure and vary the flow. From a touch screen or even your phone you can turn the pump on or off, see the amps, voltage, speed, temperature, history, and will usually tell you what is broke and needs replacement.

But if the pump just comes on when needed, supplies the correct flow rate at the right pressure, and goes off when no longer needed, you don’t need any fancy controls. I have systems that have gone so long without any problems that no one has even been in the pump room for 20+ years. It has been so long since they even thought about their water system, they cannot even locate the well. Generations have come and gone with the new generation having no clue why water just dependably comes out the tap when opened. Funny thing is, even after 30 years of perfect service without any maintenance, when the pump system does fail, some tech will decide to replace the long lasting and dependable valve control with a VFD. The customer will be told the VFD will save enough energy to pay for itself in 7 months and will make the pump last longer. Lol!!

Really? I don’t mind VFD’s being sold as a convenient way to control a pump where you can see everything on your phone, but they do not save energy. I have some fancy equipment where I can see my pump info from my phone. But the pump is still controlled by a simple control valve, a mechanical pressure switch, and a small diaphragm tank. So, I haven’t even looked at any of the pump info on my phone or been in the well house in years. Water has just been dependably coming out the taps when needed for 30 years.

A VFD being used to vary the flow and maintain a constant pressure is fantastic as long as it keeps working and you can afford it. But you can get the same variable flow and constant pressure from a simple inexpensive valve, and simple is what makes pump systems dependable.

The real problem is most people these days can’t read a pressure gauge, amp meter, or even know which end of a screwdriver to use. They can’t even tell if a pump is running unless a green light is blinking on their phone. A VFD is a good way for them not to worry their pretty little heads about things like amps, TDH, minimum and maximum flows, etc. A VFD makes it easier for the operator, but at the cost of efficiency and longevity.

Sorry to have gone off subject on this thread. But a pressure tank is nearly always a good idea on a VFD system as it will help with some of the problems that go with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back