Draft Body 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mousepotato

Mechanical
Jul 1, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I need drafts on both sides of a part that is NOT symmetric about the parting plane. There are curved edges on both sides of the plane. I think the command DRAFT BODY is specifically for this, but I can't figure it how it works. Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance..

(Running Nx 7.5 on XP)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make sure that you use the 'Stationary Edges' option of 'Above and Below' and that you actually select an edge(s) for BOTH the Above and the Below conditions. AND if the part is not starting-out with straight sides, you will ALSO need to set the 'Match Faces at Parting Object' option to 'Match All' (as seen in the attached example).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0303faa6-efe1-4f31-804d-35b585d645a8&file=Draft_Body_example.prt
Thx John,

But It isn't working. I always get "Failed to construct draft" or "Try Isocline / True draft method" alternately. What do Design people do usually if Draft Body fails?

(Running Nx 7.5 on XP)

What do design people do if Draft Body fails, you ask?

mousepotato, it has been my experience that they leave that mess for the toolmaker to clean up..!

Glad you are trying to get to the root of the problem.......you make the working world a better place. Thanks, here's a star.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Hi all,

@cowski
The reason I couldn't post a part or an image is due to uploading restrictions (firewalled!!!) at our end. Anyways the part is like the outline curve of a 90 deg rotated MICKEY MOUSE. The BIG EARS are on one side of the parting plane and the CHIN and CHEEKS are on the other side of the plane.[ponder]. (Sorry that's the best I could think of). Any similar part would do.

@jnikolauk
You are right!!!

Thanks..

(Running Nx 7.5 on XP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back