e85 temperature problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

joszman

Bioengineer
Nov 18, 2006
NL
Hi there

My problem is that my car (running on e85) is having starting problems when it's getting colder outside. I'm using a conversion unit which is used in Brasil as well, but with the cold over here starting gets difficult. On the internet I've already found existing diesel preheating systems but I'm not sure whether this will work for e85 ethanol as well. Could you help me out?

Thanks

Dick Bont
Holland

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Joszman,

In most areas, the ethanol content of E85 is adjusted seasonally just like gasoline. The amount of ethanol in E85 is reduced in the winter so that the actual amount of ethanol is as low as 70% to assist with cold starting. Make sure you are buying a winter blend of E85.

Although unlikely, if you bought the fuel at a significantly higher altitude (must be thousands of feet altitude change: Think Denver, Colorado) than you are operating at now, that too would make cold starts more difficult.

Assuming that you are buying a winter blend of E85 at roughly the same altitude you are having your cold start problems at, I believe that a pre-heater would at least help your cold-start ability.

Hope this helps.

-Reidh

joszman,

which is the temperature that you car does no start?

Is it fuel injection or carbureted?
Which is the name of the conversion kit that you are using?

Hi Nagy (and others)

The temerature is roughly taken a problem when it gets below 10 - 15 degrees (celcius)... and it's about a fuel injected car (as most of the systems available only will work with injection systems). The kit is available at
Greetz
Jos

joszman,
On older carburetted 1,6 /1,8 litre VW alcohol-engines here in Brazil, VW fitted a 1-litre petrol-carrying cannister .

A little electric pump shot some petrol into the alcohol carb for cold starting when the temp fell below 10ºC.

Never a starting problem , ever, even at freezing temps on the Brazil-Argentine border !

That's right Paulista....my causin had a VW saveiro and it worked just fine in Porto Alegre.
I suppose you can solve your problem, joszman, by makin a switch to feed gasoline on cold start.

rdd48856 (Chemical)

Thanks for the timely input !

Brazil (???? )

Successfully fuelling engines with alcohol, over more than two decades to this date ?

Paulista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back