Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Eiffel Tower in Need of Repair 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are on BA5 now in Europe.

Vaccines and previous infection to other variants make absolutely zero difference to your likelihood of catching it or the severity of symptoms.

The only thing is your less likely to get extreme fatal symptoms.

Apparently it's an utter swine to boot. And that's from someone who got alpha, delta and the first Omicron. And has just gone through this one. And he said he thought he was a goner this time because he felt so ill but his blood O2 stayed up. He said it was worse than malaria and lasted longer.

We finally just got hit by our COVID wave here at my job a few weeks ago. Oddly, I was one of two that didn't get it. But, an interesting observation is that everybody got symptoms. Half were more than mild. One ended up taking Paxlovid but fortunately didn't rebound like Fauci. That the asymptomatic rate doesn't align with the ~40% asymptomatic rate of past variants. I guess that's good news, we'll know when to stay home now.

I haven't tested positive for it. And my family have had it twice. Alpha and Omicron BA1.

There seems to be a link with blood group.

The guy I know who has had it 4 times now is AB+. My family the others are B+. I am O-. Don't know anyone who is O neg that has tested positive. But there isn't that many of us about.

Yes, I've read that people with type 'O' blood (RH factor is irrelevant) supposedly are less likely to contract COVID and if they do, they have a milder case. Note that I'm type 'O+' as are two of our sons (my wife is 'A+'). I've not had COVID, or if I did, I never knew it. Our oldest, one of the sons who is 'O+', has had COVID twice, and the other 'O+' son thinks he's had it, but it was so mild that he's not sure (he was never tested), but at the time, his wife was very sick with COVID and almost died (this was very early when there was nothing that they could do). Note that she's also 'A+'.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The first time everyone got it during lock down 1 with alpha.

My brother in law aged 35 AB+ was extremely ill with it to the point of calling an ambulance. O2 was just above the red line so he stayed at home. 5days he was very sorry for himself.

Me I had a sweating 5 year old clinging to me for 18 hours. And was tested 3 times over the next two weeks negative every time. I might add said 5 year old the next morning got up at 8 ate 3 eggs a packet of bacon plus 4 slices of toast and 3 sausages and then put his snow suit on and legged it before his mother could ground him for being ill.

Which I got a bollocking for. Lunch was getting on for a kg of Shepard's pie I had made for that evening. I managed to prevent the afternoon grounding by pointing out the protein calorie load he had eaten in the last 6 hours he didn't seem very sick to me now. Plus being stuck inside with a load of sick adults when he could be sledging in the snow wasn't the best.

He demolished fries and bakebeans for dinner that night. And I was the only one who could smell the results of that diet thankfully.

I might add my bil still has issues which he didn't have before it. Although there could be a link to vodka consumption

I must be in triple figures getting my nose pulled through testing since it started. It's only in the last few months it hasn't been at least once a week.

You can see the corrosion

IMG_20220715_130550_HDR_qct2r5.jpg

Call me chickensh*t, but I still wear a mask when I go out... and, I don't go out often...

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back