Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Energy efficient, waterless Copper strip based cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vikramji

Industrial
Dec 8, 2019
IN

The presented Idea is based on Heat exchange principle.As per sketch there will be a conveyor belt system and some copper stripes will be connected with this belt.Each copper strip will have a moveable hook.The conveyor belt will move with a motor.Each copper strip will be separated with each other and with conveyor belt with the help of Insulation (wooden insulation).Each copper strip will be connected with the machine for 15 to 20 seconds to absorb the heat and after that this copper strip will be removed and next copper strip will be ready to absorb the heat.The removed strip will be cooled down after some time and will be ready to couple with the machine again.In this way each copper stripe will work one by one to absorb the heat to cool the machine and each strip will get cool down due to convection .

What I thought is that if I use a continuous water jet to cool the motor then the motor will remain cool so if I use the copper stripes then the same effect will be occured.It will work in this way that temperature will be not increased of machine if I couple the device with the machine.
It will be low cost,low maintenance,waterless solution to cool the machines.
It will consume almost nil energy.
I would like to know that should it work?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=80441fd3-31f8-4af3-859f-0a4a249cdd3c&file=0.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Copper is worse at carrying heat than water is and makes less effective contact with the machine. So sure, add a lot of moving parts that don't carry much heat.

It takes 0.385 Joules of heat to raise 1 gram of copper 1 degree Celcius.
The specific heat of water is 1 calorie/gram °C = 4.186 joule/gram °C.

The heat conductivity of copper is more than water. In this mechanism the heat conductivity is important.
There are so much moving parts except a motor and conveyor belt but heat will be not generated as the motor will move a little bit after each 15 second.
Yes, it is less connected with motor but it can be easily solved through designing.

I didn't say conducting. I said carrying. As in the little strips cannot carry much heat.

File this under bad ideas and, if water isn't acceptable, use a finned heatsink and add a fan.

This seems absurdly complicated; you consume power with cooling water and moving these copper strips. Since you've already committed to have water pumped, why not just use the water directly on the surfaces where the copper strips are touching? If you make the plumbing copper, then you eliminate the moving of the strips, etc.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I want to keep the design simple and more above energy efficient and waterless.
If i use a fan and water then it is no purpose of this design.
The copper strips are not contact with hot machine but the initial temperature of machine or in other words machine 's room temperature.so the strip can absorb the heat from initial point and maintain the initial temperature of machine.
Basically it is designed to cool solar panel batteries and battery house.
The strps are not briefly contact with machine as it will depend on its surface area and it can be solved easily.
There is no need of fan as the strips get cool down by convection as each strip will get 5 to 6 minute to be cooled down if there are 20 strips.
It is a simple design.

You clearly have not done ANY of the math. Just how much heat do you think you can carry away with each strip taking 5 minutes to be replaced? And how are you going to ensure adequate surface contact of each strip to the machine? Efficiency is defined as heat extracted divided by power consumed. Even if you have zero power consumption, if you can only extract millijoules/second, it's not going to be useful.

If i use a fan and water then it is no purpose of this design.

Exactly; so why do you think you are smarter than every engineer that has solved this problem using water or air? Maybe you are, but the odds are awfully low.

I would like to know that should it work?

At this point, it's likewise clear that you don't want to hear the answer to your question, because despite people pointing obvious holes, you persist without doing any of the required homework.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

All Respected Experts,
Each strip will be replaced only after 15 seconds but will take 5 minutes to be cooled down.
In 15 seconds the each strip will absorb the heat so obviously the temperature will be not increased.
I have already mentioned about the surface area of strip and it can be solve through designing.

From what I can understand from your very basic sketch and description is that you have a moving conveyor of copper strips which spend 15 seconds in a hot room and then circa 5 minutes in a cooler room / outside where air is present at a lower temperature.

Well in theory yes I suppose this could work, however the real life application of it is such that the cooling effect will be next to zero.

15 seconds isn't enough time for the air in the hot room to lift the temperature of the copper strip by even a fraction of a degree. It's not the conductivity of the metal that's an issue, it's the transfer of heat from the air to the metal that's your issue.

It could consume very low energy, but will also transfer very low energy.

I think your batteries will get very hot if you use this as your cooling mechanism...

You would be much better simply letting the hot air rise and escape out of the top of the battery room and insert some low level grills in the bottom to let cooler air flow in.

This uses no extra energy at all!!

Those in hot countries worked this out a long time ago.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Unlike the other cynics here I think this is a brilliant idea.

I would like to develop a prototype for you.

To cover my initial research and development costs please forward US$ 1,243,832.12 to my account and I will contact you when additional funds are required.

The system will be connected with the machine at room temperature. If machine 's room temperature is 30°cellcius then the system s temperature will be also 30 degrees cellcius.
I will not connect it with hot machines but a cool machine and after that start the machine. As machine get start then it will generate heat in 15 seconds and the copper strip will work to absorb the heat.

You are also missing the fact that no heat transfer can occur without a thermal gradient. Meaning that the temperature of the machine you are trying to cool will need to rise above ambient in order to have any heat transfer to your copper plates. The plates will also not cool all the way down to ambient in the 5 minutes you are allowing.

To me, it looks like a much easier way to transfer heat from a hot component, to a large number of flat plates, and then to ambient air through natural or forced convection is to just use a finned heat sink and avoid the cost/complexity/inefficiency of somehow placing and moving the plates and driving the circulating conveyor. All that saved energy could easily run a cooling fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back