Engine Bay Door Optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesEngineer4

Mechanical
Feb 19, 2013
IN
Hello All,

I'm working on a Design Optimization of an aircraft engine door (42 X 42 inch). Currently, the door main frame was Sheetmetal formed and bonded through weld and later inner and outer skins got wrapped with rivets. What other ways I should consider in order to achieve cost and weight reduction. Kindly suggest. Thank you for your help and support.

Thanks & Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at how other doors have been made. Remember your special requirements (like fire) ... I imagine the door is currently steel ?

You could use High temperature composites. Maybe 3D print ?? You could use explosive forming.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

What airplane is this?
Can you post a picture of the door?
Welding is not bonding.
What do you mean “wrapped with rivets?
What are the design requirements for the door - loads, temperatures, fire resistance, etc, etc.

The optimal door for minimum cost and minimum weight is no door at all.

Perhaps there are some additional requirements that you need to include in your optimization function.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the response.

The Door is currently made with Aluminum; inner skin - 6061 and Outer skin - 2024. It is an engine access door of 2-seater Helicopter. We are planning for a NEW design of this Door. Any suggestions on alternate materials w.r.t manufacturability but main constraint is, it should resist the High temperatures and with less density and high strength.

Few things in my mind like going with High-speed machining with AL-Li Alloys, but really not sure on Composites because at some point I need to achieve 0.5-inch thickness

And do you think, it is feasible to bring down the material cost using other materials. Any suggestions from your end will really help. Thank You for your time and support

Thanks & Regards

Great! You've added a thickness requirement and the temperature requirement, and correctly noticed that density should be considered.

Here is a table of material densities.

From a quick scan, a laminate of balsa wood and mineral wool quilt might satisfy all your stated requirements so far.

Perhaps there are some additional requirements that you need to include in your optimization function.

Hi, thanks again for your suggestion.

Please help me in understanding better, If I'm not wrong you are suggesting these materials for prototype model, right? Also, does balsa wood/Mineral Wool can be formed into aerodynamic profile with required thickness?

I'm curious to know, could you please hint the other requirements that need to be considered..?

Thanks & Regards

What is the exact max temperature?
Presumably there is honeycomb core between the two skin on the existing door?
How are you going to certify the new door? STC?
What is more important - reduced cost or weight?
Why are you redesigning the door?
There is not much cheaper materials than aluminum.

surprised a helicopter needs a double walled door panel ... in lieu of a single external skin, maybe with stiffeners ??

the number of latches would also have an impact ... more latches would probably have a lighter door (maybe enough to offset the weight of the extra latches.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

What kind of engine... Piston? Turbine?

Operating temperatures? Example: -65F to +350F

Fire containment required?

Operating vibration/noise/sonic and air-loads environment? Pressure differential 'pushing-out' or 'sucking-in'?

Upper, side or lower location... or all-3?

Expected abuse or maintenance loading, IE: wind? maintenance... IE holding tools/parts while working? Used as a 'mechanic's platform' for upper-deck access to work on the transmission/rotor/etc maintenance?

Does the door have louver or screen air vents?

Door hinge and thumb-latching... or... panel fasteners [quick-turn] all-around???

How many aircraft do You intend to install this door on, IE: 1 or 1000?

Private use? Civil use? Military use?

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back