Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engine designs that have problems 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engine manufacturers offer high incline oil pans for their engines. These often have scavenging pumps in the pan similar to circle track race cars. Is it their fault you didn't specify this when you ordered the engine?

Here are pictures that I've taken of Curtiss OX-5 engines. The first was taken at the Smithsonian Institute's Air & Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, located next to Dulles International Airport in Virginia:

FE-094_jq6uio.jpg

November 2006 (Sony DSC-H2)

The photo of the second engine, it was taken at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio:

KY-094_w0kqug.jpg

November 2015 (Sony NEX-3N)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

I seem to recall reading about a 2 digit overhaul period for the OX-5.
Trying to find it I did find this about OX-5, which does seem worse that modern day quality control issues
Finally, there is the whole question of quality control. Sir Roy Fedden’s remarks on a batch of 250 engines overhauled (or remade) by Brazil Straker, originally in the 1966 centenary journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society, have been widely
quoted:
“— some with broken drills still in the oil holes of the crankshafts –“
“— others with an unbelievable amount of rubbish in the crankcases — including a dollar bill –“
He may have had a point. Early in 2004 the writer warned one UK enthusiast to look out for bad workmanship and build quality on his newly acquired OX-5. He rang, “You were right. Either crap workmanship or sabotage.” “Oh Dear” (or words to that effect) “What’s wrong?”
“There’s a main bearing cap and stud floating around in the crankcase. But it doesn’t matter, it’s a spare. All the caps and so on are where they’re meant to be.

from this document

Thanks...

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back