Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engine designs that have problems 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a question for my education, I have an old truck with a 4-TECK engine. It has leaked for years, but I have been told repeatedly it was the rear seal. Several years ago, when I had the transmission rebuilt, the rear seal was replaced. It still leaks. But more of a concern to me is that it only needs 3.5 Quarts of oil, and most oil change places will put 4 quarts of oil in it, so what happens to that extra oil, and is that what is leaking?

Maybe not a bad design, but sure is not normal to use a non-integer oil amount.

My wife's Mercedes C300, which is only a 2.0 liter four-cylinder, holds 7.4 quarts of oil, or at least that was what I was charged for the last time I had the oil changed.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Tugboat if that is true then why are various performance outfits making support systems for them? On a non turbo engine maybe that is true to some extent.
The unsupported cylinder can ever so slightly rock from piston skirt thrust and the heat and pressure expansion moves the top opening small amounts, constant movements can't be good for the head gasket.

So true David, they are made because people buy them. Not because they are great, but because people think they are great.
Example: the ego boost engines.

The main reason for open deck, is cheap, or low manufacturing cost, same goes for such things as fractured main and rod caps, plastic oil pans, and valve covers etc. All those parts have to do is make it past the warranty period.

I disagree. Open deck allows for die casting of the block. There are benefits to this other than cheapness. Remember, it was only Subaru that had problems with their head gaskets, open deck or not. All other manufacturers have successful and reliable open deck designs in their portfolio. Even some Formula 1 engines are open deck.

Funny you bring up fracture split rods. That was a huge leap forward. Yamaha pioneered the design for their R1 motorcycle engine. It wasn't long after that it had even made it into industrial engines. John Deere was an early adopter. This isn't long after some of the big auto manufacturers had been using cast iron rods (ArmaSteel). The fracture split rod actually requires very high strength steel of high quality to produce consistent and brittle fractures. Think of it as saving some money on machining and doweling to free up some money for better materials. No they can't be economically reconditioned but it's non-existent for a rod to go out of round anymore. They can be reused without reconditioning.

You actually prefer sheet metal valve covers and oil pans with cork gaskets that warp and twist and don't hold torque?

Should we go back to rope packing for rear main seal on crankshafts? Lip seals are too cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back