Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Engineering Outsourcing/Workshare Concerns? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jafka

Chemical
Mar 9, 2011
US
Virtually all of the major engineering firms are now sending at least some piping design and CAD work overseas (namely, India) and many are beginning to do the same for the various engineering disciplines.

I would be curious to hear everyone's experiences, worries and predictions about a growing trend of American engineering firms sending engineering work abroad.

Jafka

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are talking about $10/hour for engineers as opposed tio the $100/hour charged in the US, but I can see how it was easily misunderstood when read out of context.

Are we forgetting that in most products the engineering is a small part of the cost. For specility products, it can be consiterable.
And for out sourced products, there is an added cost of quality control.

The safety issues that are spoken of above, do they really apply to engineering? Maybe and maybe not, depending on the final product.

Then again, with the worker issues here in the US, you could get a better product by out sourcing.

I also saw that story. Sounds encouraging until you read further and see that they only increased North American (not just the US) made locks by 5%. I guess it's a start.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

"We were very focused on the unit cost ... What really started to dawn on us is it's the system costs. That's a very different approach."

"There was always this notion that if you controlled the design and the brand, you could park your production somewhere else," said GE's Campbell. "I'm not sure that's completely true anymore. Because what happens over time is you lose competency."

Where do they get these guys?

Everythings a business model.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Where do they get these guys?

They always want to promote people who don't make mistakes, which does not include engineers. They come from the accounting departments.

There is another trend of changing jobs every 3 to 5 years, so you don't have to fix the problems you create.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back