Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Engineering Sketches or Drawings 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 29, 2023
GB
Can anyone recommend books or other resources aimed at improving structural engineering sketches/drawings either focusing on the improving sketching techniques or providing examples of typical details and or reference material for drawing conventions (material hatching patterns etc)?

I've done global structural analyses for a long time and have recently switched to a position that focuses on more on detailed connections and feel my sketches need improvement. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks... didn't know they had that... just downloaded.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I always use graph paper for sketching up details. If you get graph paper that has 8 squares per inch, it lends itself nicely to various architectural scales. For example, one square equals two inches at 3/4" = 1'-0". One square equals one inch at 1-1/2" = 1'-0". And so on.

If you are working in an engineering scale, get graph paper that has 10 squares per inch.

DaveAtkins

DaveAtkins said:
I always use graph paper for sketching up details. If you get graph paper that has 8 squares per inch, it lends itself nicely to various architectural scales. For example, one square equals two inches at 3/4" = 1'-0". One square equals one inch at 1-1/2" = 1'-0". And so on.

I was taught to do this. Sketch 3/4" = 1'-0" or 1-1/2" = 1'-0" free-hand without a scale. That's one of the most fruitful tactics I learned as a young engineer.

In the last few years, I've had to produce sketches to give to other firms, and have had to use a straight-edge also. The extra effort reduces my speed quite a bit.

@271828 , I want to use the sketches to share with the CAD operators, add to design calc reports and sometimes aid discussing options with clients. I'm doing a good bit of work on brownfield industrial sites so there's often non standard details making use of or replacing existing structures. Thanks for the link. I've also found my speed dropping significantly when trying to ensure the sketch is presentable, hence why i'm looking to improve.

@Celt83 Appreciate the recommendations, thanks. It can be difficult to know what books are worthwhile when buying online.

@skeletron I had found that as well but the current course when i found it was fully booked and I didnt find any future dates listed. I think that listing might now be available. Thanks. There's a "lite" version of what i think is by the same people here
@DaveAtkins Thanks for the suggestion. There's a similar rule of thumb when using metric , one square = a multiple of 5 mm depending on scale. I've been trying different medium to find what works best: graph paper vs Concepts drawing app (used in the course skeletron shared) and LibreOffice Draw which provides a very basic version of many CAD features (dimension lines etc) that seems like it could be a good balance between MS Paint and full on CAD

OffshoreWindStructures said:
@271828 , I want to use the sketches to share with the CAD operators, add to design calc reports and sometimes aid discussing options with clients. I'm doing a good bit of work on brownfield industrial sites so there's often non standard details making use of or replacing existing structures. Thanks for the link. I've also found my speed dropping significantly when trying to ensure the sketch is presentable, hence why i'm looking to improve.

In that case, I'd recommend the grid paper sketching to scale without a straight-edge approach described above. The last time I worked in a design office was about 20 years ago, so take my advice FWIW. Back then, we sketched on paper and fed those sketches to CAD operators. I could sketch pretty complicated sections to scale without a straight-edge and keep 2-3 drafters going trying to keep up. The more experienced guys were even faster. The approach is very fast. The key is to make it to scale so I know how the thing fits together but not "pretty" because that takes too long and adds no value when the final product will be from the CAD operator.

Almost everything in my world is either 3/4"=1'-0" or 1-1/2"=1'-0" so I created my own grid paper in excel. It has major gridlines at 3/4 in. each direction. Three minor gridlines in between, so spacing between minor gridlines is 3" or 1-1/2". If you're in metric, there might be a suitable grid paper out there already. If not, then you could make your own.

It's hard to imagine any computerized method being anywhere near as fast, but I could be wrong!

I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking the sketch you are including in your calculation package will not need all the notes and detailed information you would provide to your CAD techs. if that's the case, why not just start the detail in CAD, and, when it's complete enough for the calcs, just create a PDF and paste it into your calcs? In the old days, we would call this "blocking out" the detail. You can then markup the sketch with notes, etc. to give to your CAD tech. The CAD tech could start with your sketch in CAD which also might save some time.

@271828 I think you are probably correct about computerized options being slower but I lean towards them because you build a library of sketches that can be adapted without starting fresh every time, I use colour to make my drawings clearer and easier to read, it's easier to correct a mistake or have multiple layers that can be turned on and office during a presentation to show different stages in a project etc. Also I'm slow using pen and paper so the time difference isnt as significant for me as it might be for others.

I havent found others using libreoffice draw online but one app I've been testing is Concepts app (it's also the app recommended by some of the drawing courses) and here's a guy using it for a similar purpose :
@SE2607 the engineers dont get full cad software only a viewer so I wouldnt be able to share cad files that exactly match the designers setup. I might see if there's a free cad package that wouldnt create more work for the designers that i could use.

If I get time over the next few weeks, I might try creating and timing the same drawing using the different options and sharing here for anyone else interested.

OffshoreWindStructures said:
...I lean towards them because you build a library of sketches that can be adapted without starting fresh every time,...

Computerized methods probably have better longevity also. Nowadays if I do a lot of manual sketches, my hands get tired and some of the joints in my hands hurt. I could see that causing arthritis or carpal tunnel. LOL

Concepts is nice as it is vector based and you can implement true scaling, I like to have one pen setup with 100% smoothing so it only draws orthogonal lines. I believe with the subscription it also supports exporting your sketches to dxf which your cad folks can xref in. If you are on a laptop/pc a relatively inexpensive drawing tablet will go a long way towards enhancing the experience, I use a huion inspiroy H640p which in the states can be found for as low as $29. iPad with the pencil also works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back