Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel 2007 problem... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgsbsme

Mechanical
Mar 9, 2005
US
I'd like to nominate Microsoft for a large spanking. What the heck were they thinking... taking a program with a huge installed user base, which has been using the thing for maybe 20 years, and reprogram it so that it vaguely resembles the previous versions? It's like they fired all their programmers, brought in a new bunch, and told them to write a new spreadsheet program.
I've had to go in and edit formulae like lookups that used to work and now return error messages. Bad Microsoft. :spanking_graemlin:

Anyway, I had a spreadsheet that used "Radio Buttons" (now Option Buttons) that was done with the "Forms ToolBar". The 3 option buttons were inside a "Group Box" and linked to a cell, so selecting a button changed that linked cell contents to 1, 2 or 3 depending which button was selected.

The group box could not (still cannot) be made invisible, no control over "Line" around it. So, I made a white rectangle with no line and laid it over the group box. I was able to move the group box to the back and the white rectangle in front of it and other graphics and option buttons in front of both. Resulting in 3 buttons with no visible box, and a cell that contained 1, 2 or 3 for use with various IF statements.

NOW, with the steaming pile of Excel 2007, the group box is on top and CANNOT be moved to the back and so is always visible. I tried the newer "ActiveX Controls" (a challenge simply to find) but that gives TRUE or FALSE in linked cell AND, the stinking buttons don't light up correctly. Select one and instead of it being selected, the other two light up, etc.

Even reverting to the old "Form Controls" leaves the stinking group box on top and it can't be sent to the back. At least that DOES leave 1,2, or 3 in the linked cell.

A clip of the original, working option buttons is linked, showing the offending Group Box on top. :p

Anyone out there have any clues to offer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are the secend persion that has told me the samething I hope that it is fix by the time that I have to switch over.

Chris

"In this house, we obey the laws of thermodynamics." Homer Simpson

Sorry, I can't help on your particular problem but it does raise some concerns.

For a long time I have kept WIN98SE running on a laptop for the significant other.
Time came for a new laptop and after a hunt I was able to buy one with the latest/last XP (warehouse stock only, all new have Vista, it seems).

Now, when I get the occasional problems with XP and I get the little error reporting window pop up it completes the reporting then pops up a window with a link to follow to get help on the particular problem.
The answer is always the same: Upgrade to VISTA.
Of course, I have Excel 2003 on my machine and no idea what is on the S.O's machine except that it is the latest/last XP and she gets the same messages I do.

So, the chance of Microsoft doing anything at all about Excel 2007, will depend on the point at which they lose interest and move on to something else and, on the evidence, that point is edging ever closer to the release dates.

I have to say that I am not happy with their attitude that problems are solved by upgrading.

JMW

Clyde38... yes, I can get the old "Form Controls" version to work just that way. Problem is, on the same sheet I have 2 sets of 3 option buttons. Each set is to be linked to a different cell, so I get 1, 2, or 3 in one cell, and an independant 1, 2, or 3 in the other cell. If I just charge off and put 6 option buttons without a "Group Box", I end up with one cell that reports 1,2,3,4,5, or 6.

I can enclose the 2 sets of 3 buttons in 2 "Group Boxes" and then each set can be linked to a different cell, resulting in the 1, 2, or 3 that I need. The only problem now is that I cannot make the "Group Box" invisible, like I could with the older version of XL.

I'm checking the web for other tips, but no luck so far.

I may have to resort to describing the problem in intimate detail and sending it directly to MicroSoft in hopes that it can be addressed in a "Service Pack" or something.

If they'd just left the dang thing alone... "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It seems like they adhere more to, "If it ain't broke, take it apart and find out why." [nosmiley]

"I have to say that I am not happy with their attitude that problems are solved by upgrading"

I think many problems are caused by upgrading. I have Excel 2007 (with Vista) on my laptop. I far prefer to work in Excel 2003 on my desktop. I will "use" my standard workbooks in Excel 2007, but to tinker with anything (controls, VBA, etc) I wait to use the desktop with Excel 2003.

That seems to be the ticket Clyde.
Looks like I'll need to add a dozen short Macros. I have two sheets like this with the two sets of three option buttons.

Still annoys me that I have to go to this much extra hassle to restore 'normal' operation to a previously slick workbook. I haven't even gone through all my other spreadsheets to see what else has ceased working properly.

We should all gather with our pitchforks and torches and descend on MicroSoft headquarters. [mad]

when!

Im heading for the shed right now to get that ole' pitchfork :mad:

Why didnt they at least include a "classic" optional "skin"?

Best regards

Morten

I forgot to add that Sheet1.shapes
needs to have the appropriate 'sheet name'

To turn it back on set =false to =true
save, close and reopen your workbook.

-Mark

Thanks to Clyde32 and WMO both. Two ways to do something that I was afraid might have been impossible. [thumbsup2]

That's why I came in here to ask... I figured, if anyone would have already found a workaround, it would be someone on the engineering forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back