Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Excel chart color fill question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjeffery

Civil/Environmental
Sep 15, 2002
US
I have a chart which contains the mean temperature over a winter period so I can determin the start and end of cold weather concrete/masonry operations. I would like to color fill under the 40 degree f line any where the ACI rules state that cold weather conditions exist. {3 consecutive days where the mean temp ((high+low) / 2)<= 40 degrees f going in and >= 40 going out.} is there a way to do that?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

if your wanting two different colors in same series, i think not, unless the data points are of a certain color and the lines/bars/etc. are another color.

a possible solution...

try this,
you will need to create another series, based on the criteria you explained (using same x-axis values), but limit the cell's value to specified value. use the conditional formatting technique and color the text if criteria is met (or not met). plot this new series in the same chart and format.

while this will create another series, you may find another solution to your situation. i do not know what results will be like, but an idea to get you started. meanwhile, i may experiment myself.
-pmover

I agree with pmover that you'll probably need to add a series to calulate whether you've had 3 consecutive days that meet the criteria. Howeverr, once that is done, you can use conditional formating to automatically color the appropriate cells that meet the criteria you define. Just go to &quot;Format-Conditional Formatting&quot; and define your criteria. With a little creativity, you can probably develop a formula within the format criteria and avoid the seperate series. Good Luck.

This may not be much help but I wanted to do something similar a few years ago. I ended up writing a sub that creates a simple colored object. You can't control the scale of drawing objects with your mouse but you can from subs because they draw with X-Y coordinates. When I did it, I couldn't add the object to a chart so I started with a text box and added my object over it. The top of the object is the scaled line chart. The other 2 corners match the lower corners of the text box. Add as many pieces as you want.

Maybe Mr. Gates has opened charts to direct manipulation in the current version so that you can create a chart with fill in one operation but remember that drawing objects are static and not linked to data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back