Excel Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

renzon

Aerospace
Mar 20, 2008
US
I have a couple of questions so please bear with me,

First, can I set a value to a cell with words? Such as the word dog=1, and then have a total for dogs? Here is an example just incase...

Dog
Dog
Dog

Total dog=3

My next question is how can I make a formula that will give me the % of good and a % of bad. I thought about an if statement but I have three different conditions determining what is good and what is bad. The information is for anything less than -.630=bad, between -.5 and .5=good, and .629 and greater=bad.

I am stumped...and Google is not cooperating. Plus i feel like a am trying to over complicate things when it should really be easy. I am going to blame it on management making us come in when Fey is over land.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Code:
  	A
1	Dog
2	Rooster
3	Chicken
4	Dog
5	Pig
6	Dog
7	Cat
10	3

The formula in A10 is:

=COUNTIF(A1:A7,"Dog")

Code:
    A	  B
1  2      No Good
2  0.5    Good
3  -3     No Good
4  -0.25  Good
5  0      Good
6  -0.6   No Good
7  Bird   #VALUE!
8  0.129  Good
9  0.2    Good
10 0      Good
12        60.00%

Formula in B1:

=IF(ABS(A1)<=0.5,"Good","No Good")

Formula in B12:

=COUNTIF(B1:B10,"Good")/10

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Put this in another cell like b1

=if(a1="dog",1,"") then do a sum

Now if you just want to count the number of cells with dogs then you could use COUNTIF

=COUNTIF(A1:A5,"dog")

You can nest 7 IF statements so doing your % good and bad can easily be done.

=IF(C1<-0.63,"bad",IF(OR(C1>-0.5,C1<0.5),"good",IF(C1>0.629,"bad","")))

Ok, well the countif works perfectly and I thank you all. I knew it wasn’t that hard but I am pretty lame at Excel.

Rnordquest, I am trying to use your formula:
=IF(C1<-0.63,"bad",IF(OR(C1>-0.5,C1<0.5),"good",IF(C1>0.629,"bad","")))

Because it breaks everything down how I want it to be recognize but it is not working properly. Values below- .630=bad -.5 to .5 = good, also works fine. But the other .639 and above is not changing to bad. I have been trying to figure it out but everything I think seems to be the problem doesn’t make and difference.

Thanks for all your help

Change "OR" to "AND".

What about the numbers that are between your ranges? You have not defined the areas between ±0.63 and ±0.5

-Inf. to <0.63 = Bad
-0.63 to -0.5 = ???
>-0.5 to <0.5 = Good
0.5 to <0.629= ???
0.629 to Inf. = Bad

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

thanks for looking out! those ranges are the most important since they need to be approved! How would i tie that into the equation just an, if(c1>-.63,c1<-.5)?

I'm too lazy to type it out into Excel, but I'd throw in an ABS function and then nest two IF functions. If ABS()>.629 then "Bad", else if ABS()<0.5 then "Good" else "Check".

Alternatevely you can try this fancy formula. It based on excel TRUE = 1 and FALSE = 0
Code:
=CHOOSE((ABS(A1)<0.5)+(ABS(A1)<0.63)+1,"bad", "so so","good")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back