Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

expansion tank placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdashc

Computer
Jan 19, 2010
US
Where are expansion tanks typically placed in a closed system? hot side or cold side? any one have good rules of thumb for placement of diaphragm expansion tanks in a system containing a pump, heat source, and heat exchanger?
thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen some references saying the cold side since it has a lower pressur and installing on hot side shortens life of diaphram expansion tank???

vpl? do you know reasonings for the above placement?

In the system shown in the drawing, I believe the reason is to maintain a constant pressure in the system. And, tbh, the expansion tank shown is not a diaphragm expansion tank.

Unfortunately the agency website -- that shows all the various permutations where expansion tanks are used -- is currently off-line for maintenance. So I can't readily find other examples.

I'll poke around, but it'll be a bit. I'm kind of busy today.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

That depends upon the pump. A simple sketch of your closed system would definitely help. Hot side makes the tank more expensive. That's for sure. But gas (with or without diaphragm) expands at higher temperature. That must be considered, too. So, I guess there is no answer for all possible systems but it must be checked what the best installation point for your system with your pump is.

the size of the expansion tank is defined by the amount of expansion required.this depends on max and min temperature and the volume of the liquid:
high level-low level expansion tank=volume liquid on maximum temperature-volume liquid on minimum temperature

if the suction of the pump is connected to the bottom of the tank (liquid header) the system can be vented on the highest points (after the pump, simply by running some small diameter pipes to the top of the expansion tank.

when connected in such way (liquid header)the pressure requirements for the header tank (or elevated height in case of atmospheric tank) is the lowest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back