Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Experience of Solar compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

monaco8774

Petroleum
Feb 6, 2006
GB
Anyone

We have a new project where the client wants us to use Solar compressors at pretty high pressures 3300 psig, (we've never used these before)

Our internal specs do not allow the use of tie bolt design for the rotor but the Solar design uses them

does anyone out there have experience of these compressors and what issues might be with the tir bolt design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

something to ponder . . .

request references from solar for identical machines in similar service. without good references, i would NOT purchase NOR recommend a compressor unit with serial number one without some type of commissioning & operational agreement/warranty with solar (more than the std warranty).

good luck!
-pmover

Solar's compressors are for natural gas (you didn't stipulate the product).

Solar aren't that renowned for their high pressure experience - they aren't in the "custom engineered" business and most of their experience is at lower pressures. I would get references for any conditions you are considering.

There are limits to the customization you can have - you can't put 2 process sections in a single body for example. Solar are quite good at what they do however.

I would hesitate to use a non-API 617 compliant compressor for pressures much over 1000 psig.

As others have said, Solar makes a good compressor for many applications, such as gas gathering, gas lift, pipeline application.

However, other manufacturers have more experience at high pressure...eg. GE-Nuovo Pignone or Dresser-Rand. Nuovo Pignone is best-of-breed in this category.

Solar is a great machine and company. Since they are not a 100% custom machine, their wheel areodynamics are designed for typical oil and gas applications. They would not be efficient for compressing Freons at 180 mw for example. The high pressures are not a concern, they are used in high pressure gas injection applications all over the world.

A major concern with high pressure applications are aerodynamically induced rotor instability, as well as oil-film seal induced instability. Solar is not a leader in the development or utilization of various technologies for mitigating such instabilities.

While I've used many Solar compressors and turbines, and consider them a sold company, I would not use one for presures much over 1,000 psig unless they can demonstrate ample field experience in that application.

Caveat emptor.

Do yourself a favor and go with a recip, unless Solar can provide references for the same application. I've heard nasty rumors about broken bolts during hydro when pushing solar cases to higher pressures.

For high pressure compression @ discharge flows in excess of 200 acfm, centrifugal compressors may be an acceptable choice. For lower flows, then recips are a better choice, otherwise impeller/diffuser passage widths become too small and prone to blockage, in addition to inherently low efficiency.

For high pressure centrifugal and recip compressors, consider GE Nuovo Pignone and Dresser Rand.

For applications below 1,500 psi where a 5 year uninterrupted run is not essential (eg. upstream oil & gas applications), then Solar compressors may be an acceptable choice. Solar aftermarket service is very good. Their gas turbines are also very good.

I agree with those that won't use this type of compressors for high pressures, or for demanding applications requiring a API compressor, unless the decision to go with it is backed by a good number of cases of sucessfull experience in the same conditions.

And when evaluating such thing as "same conditions" one shouild take into account not only fluid, flow, pressures and temperatures, but also other frquently overlooked items such as start-stop frequency and possible flow disturbances in the process.

Another important item: What are the maintenance and inspection resources available. One this is to have such a compressor under constant surveillance by experts, another is to have it running in some remote, desert location.

One of the possible troubles with this type of machine is that if one of the tie-bolts gets loose, well...

Hi monaco 8774,

it is important to mention the service applications such as hydrocracker plant , Ethylene plant, reinjection etc,. these applications require a compressor manufacturer to have supported the process requirements, operational requirements, and API requiremments. and a large experience record

As one of the members replied it is strongly advised not to go for Non API machines for very high pressures.

Depending on the service applications, high density gases associated with high pressure ratio could result in frequency self excited vibrations and rotordynamic instability. Once aerodynamically and rotorduynamically these machines are prone to problem, you will have it.

GE NP are the leaders in such applications, andthey take care of the rest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back