Fabrication according to previous ASME BPVC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

teokal

Mechanical
May 4, 2007
GR
Hi everyone, and happy new year!!!!

Our Client needs to make some heat exchangers that are copy of the existing ones, made back in 2004-2005 by others.
They provided to us the data books of the exchangers fabrication. That time, the applicable ASME BPVC edition for the project was 2001, with addenda 2002.
They told us that they will keep the previous design, which we should follow, and thus the old drawings.
Please note that the fabrication Code is ASME BPVC Section VIII, Div.2, but the exchangers are NOT ASME Certified (they are PED).
Questions:
- Am I allowed to fabricate according to an older ASME edition (even though the exchangers will NOT bear the certification mark)?
- Since the design is the old one, what should I do for the design verification, which is obligatory in Div.2?
- What else should I know, in order to be "legal"?

Thank you, guys...

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, since the PED applies here, you can argue with your client itll be a hard time getting this CE-'certified' under the PED. Here's why. The current code edition (VIII-2 2017) exceeds the one that was used for the initial design (VIII-2 2001-02a) ,in terms of technology for design fabrication etc. As such you're not working to the latest possible technological status, which is not in favor of the PED. Furthermore, as you're using a non-harmonized standard, Im sure not if the NoBo will accept an edition of a design code which is more than 15 years old (and in the mean time, has been revised some 7 times). Even though the client is considered king in a lot of occasions, and needs to be pleased in his or her wishes, the PED is law which cant be waived out, and simply outrules your client wish.
Where are you situaated?

XL83NL,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply; I can now admit that I had exactly the same impression and opinion, but now I'm more confident...
We are in Greece, and the client is a local refinery...
I believe that I will now have to get in contact with the client, to see our next steps...
Thanks a lot!!!

Only best result in absolutely necessary time

ASME mandates use of governing Code edition that depends on the contract date. One must use edition of Code that is mandatory on the date you signed contract. Code editions become mandatory 6 months after the issue. That means 2017 edition was issued on July 01, 2017 and has become mandatory from Jan 01, 2018. If your contract is prior to Jan 01, 2018, you can use either 2015 edition or 2017 edition.

Best thing is to design the exchanger using latest edition with same dimensions as the old one.

Remember that the factor of safety in Section VIII Div 2 was reduced from 3.0 to 2.4 in 2007 and you should not have any problem in satisfying the current Code edition with old dimensions and thickness.

teokal said:
Our Client needs to make some heat exchangers that are copy of the existing ones, made back in 2004-2005 by others. ...&... They told us that they will keep the previous design, which we should follow, and thus the old drawings.

teokal, might be worth your while to find out if they want or need true dimensional duplicates, i.e. interchangeable parts old to new, OR do they just want to hold the major dimensions such that the new exchangers mount to the foundation and pipe up like the old ones did.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back