Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fact or Fiction: Dimpled Underbody helps reduction in drag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chezee350

Automotive
Feb 1, 2006
US
i'm sure you've seen the Lexus commerical claiming that a dimpled underbody reduces overall drag on the car, is it true? and how does it do it?

would vortex generators achieve the same benefit?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard to say. It probably does no harm, whether it is a statistically significant effect is another matter.

BMW use dimples on their mirrors, so the dimples may work at automotive Reynolds numbers.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

There are several makers now following BMW's lead and using dimples around the external mirror area. Most have fixed the pattern to the mirror support frame where the door window glass meets the A pillar not on the mirror itself.
I was lead to believe BMW originally used the dimples to help reduce wind noise generated by air passing between the mirror body and the A pillar.

Lexus also once ran an ad that claimed they invented headlights that turned with the steering. I remember seeing it on D series Citroen before Lexus was even imagined.

The point, don't necessarily believe everything that Toyota advertises.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Tucker had the center headlight turn with the steering.

Regarding the question.. unless there is airflow seperation downstream we're looking to minimize, dimples and vortex generators create a lot of unnecessary drag. Compare a flat smooth panel under the car, and one with 80 vortex generators sticking out... may help in certain instances, but unless properly engineered, it will likely be a negative. We're trying to create low pressure under the car, and the extra turbulence may not help too much if you know what I mean.

Regarding the golf ball... let's model vortex generators on a golf ball and compare it to a dimpled golf ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back