Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Faking a degree 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
I was thinking over the weekend about how common are engineers faking their degrees.
I worked with a Mech. Engineer for a while that didn't seem to me he went to college at all. He was a hot-head, argued with everyone that he is right, and all of his designs failed.
Finally, a new engineering manager was hired and he also thought some fishy. He asked me my thoughts, I told him I don't think he has a degree.
Turns out I was right. He lied about it and his background was not thoroughly checked when hired.
He was fired soon after.
Has anyone here experienced engineers (or any other profession) that have faked (lied) about have their college degree? I'm curious how common this is.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with the six-sigma black-belt ninja jazz, they are right up their with "LEAN Movements" Consultants which tells management everything the workers have been complaining about for years, just now the management already wasted a lot of money which they could have used for actual improvements had they listened to the engineering department.

I can't say I've ever run into someone lying about having a degree, however I've come across folks who work very hard at hiding the fact they do not have one... Many times its been folks who have tech degrees and/or associates degrees who seem to often give the illusion of having an engineering degree.

Personally, I don't think it matters a bit what kind of education someone has with regard to his/her ability to "engineer". And I work with a number of folks whose formal eduction stopped with a HS diploma - and many of them can run circles around "degreed" folks. But I've learned to not trust those who are not open and honest about his/her formal education experience.

I once interviewed for a position with a small company, and after talking with the boss for 1/2hr about the normal stuff, he starts asking really unusual and specific, technical questions.

I ask him what the story is, and he explains carefully that the position I am being interviewed for is still occupied!
They are cross-checking some of the stuff this guy had been saying over the last few weeks!!

The boss says i've got the job if I want it. I accept. He walks out of the office and fires the other guy!! He turned out to have faked his degree. Picture me with my head low, sinking into my chair.

I don't know what the fuss is about, I get a regular stream of emails telling me I can have a degree or a doctorate just for the asking. Usualy I file them along with the 419 emails offfering me a % for getting several million dollars out of Africa (Latest is Hong Kong, much shorter and more direct; basically am I corrupt and am I stupid?)

JMW

The one person I've interviewed for an engineering position that didn't have degree came with loads of certificates and awards. Sort of pitiful, in a way. He didn't get hired, but not because of the degree; it was because he appeared to be a job-hopper, and he really didn't have enough math background.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I believe people who boast much about their so called qualifications are trying to hide something in it. Afterall few years experience down the line who cares (with due respect to highly reputed uni's!)which uni you graduated from as the performance speaks for itself.

I would never dare imagine of losing my certificates anyhow as I understand to get the duplicate one's to be issued is hell of an experience "a bureaucratic nightmare".

On the contrary it looks much easier to get the fake one's or try faking the same, as the discussion streams here.

Siddharth
These are my personal views/opinions and not of my employer's.

I've never come across this in my career yet. I just can't believe there are actually people out there who have the guts (with a capital "N") to try and pull something like that off. Also, regardless of ability, I wouldn't hire anyone in an engineering position who didn't have the degree and if I found out they lied about their degree, I'd certainly fire them without an ounce of regret. I don't care how good they are at the job. It's unfair to the engineers who went through 4 years of school. Besides, if they are that good at engineering without a degree it wouldn't be that hard for them to just get the degree then. If someone wants to be an engineer, get a degree. It's that simple. I've worked with many draftsmen who think they can handle engineering. They like to toss out lots of over simplifications on strengths of materials that are just plain wrong and most importantly DANGEROUS. A non-degreed engineer is a liability to a company and is potentially dangerous to innocent bystanders who could be injured by a poorly designed machine or structure. I'm not trying to start a fight, but I think it would be unethical to NOT fire the employee and let him or her continue to work as an engineer. Our #1 priority as engineers is to protect the public after all.

I would think it would be reasonable for a company who employed such a person to report them for fraud, particularly if there was a life safety implication.

I agree, it's not fair to those that have degrees and are trying to pay back their tuition...especially today being so expensive.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 2.0
AutoCAD 06/08
ctopher's home (updated 10-07-07)

bradpa77 said:
I just can't believe there are actually people out there who have the guts (with a capital "N") to try and pull something like that off.

Apparently your Engineering degree was given, minus a proficiency in spelling... [poke]

V

Apparently your Engineering degree was given, minus a proficiency in spelling...

LOL. It was supposed to be a witty pun. You know, spelling guts with a "n" instead of a "g". I guess it was only funny to me. Oh well. I do have a pretty strange sense of humor after all.

bradpa77:

Like Gymmeh and ctopher, I too have noticed you have a strange sense of humor!

debodine

(I know they meant they understood your witty pun...just having some fun of my own with this thread...)

ctopher...I caught the "goticed" that you typed, nice touch!

When you apply for your engineering licence, at least when I did, the qualifications and transcripts are checked and proven.

Companies can check the professional registers to confirm satisfactory qualifications.

It's true, the ones who blab about about degrees you can sniff an odour.

I remember a contractor, Warren L, back in Manchester (Life on Mars era) a legend in his own class. He faked everything, dripping with degrees and experiences in chemical, process, piping, structural, FEA, aircraft design (LOL!). We laughed and watched to see how long he would last at each new project and would 'carry' him until someone shopped him. He was charming, witty and fascinating. I still smile to think of him.

When I worked on site in the Middle East, there was another legend Mike B, claiming to have designed a power station singlehandedly in China, bridges in New York, flown an F-16 in the Korean war.....He was not charming, not witty and very dangerous. I shudder to think of him.

The con jobs, I'd say it's one in a couple of hundreds. Engineers simply faking degrees and doing good work, I'd say one in a hundred. As long it is not a position of responsibility for safety, I can tolerate the quality of the work as the measure.

Takes all kinds.

I recommend fixing the resumes properly if it is not the intention to defraud.

Robert Mote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back