Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Femap - a how to simulate a projectile punching through a plate tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREWPOPE

Aerospace
Sep 7, 2010
UA
I am interested in getting a Femap tutorial to simulate a projectile punching through a plate. A file with an example would work as well.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi

I don't have any tutorial as you request but I think the setup depends a lot on what solver you plan on using. And then you have to setup a transient analysis, possibly explicit.

It also depends on how far you want to push the analysis. A projectile, like a bullet, penetration a steel (?) plate. That can include a number of effects that can be interesting.

Thomas

Dear Andrew,
Actually in FEMAP with Simcenter Nastran Nonlinear Multi-Step solver (SOL401/402) we don't have the possibility to perform an explicit nonlinear analysis, we only support transient implicit integration in time domain with large displacement effect, contact + friction, material nonlinearities:

sol402-contact-algorithm_kosatb.gif

simcenter-nastran-multistep-nonlinear-ejemplos-lista_ftfetu.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Andrew,

If you are limited to the current version of Femap and Nastran I would say that the explicit option is not there. But if you have access to an older version or if you can somehow access a stand-alone explicit solver than the door is open. Femap can support explicit solvers even if Simcenter Nastran currently don't have them.

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back