Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Femap Version 2401 output request

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstanley320

Mechanical
Jul 8, 2020
CA
In version 2301 of Femap to get a force balance file printed out with the solution, the file went to the "scratch directory" drive location. With the new version 2401 I am not able to locate the file, even when I re-run an analysis that was successful in version 2301.

Does anyone know where it goes by default, or how to input a command to direct it to a drive location? I have selected the output request for force balance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Standley,
The text results are pinted in the nastran *.f06 file, is this the file you are referring to?.
Never use the SCRATCH directory to save results, this is only for NASTRAN for temporal location during calculation, after solving with success NASTRAN will delete temporal results automatically.
Instead, use the local directory where you save the FEMAP *.modfem file.
In FILE > PREFERENCES > INTERFACES select the nastran option "DIRECT OUTPUT OPTION = MODEL FILE DIRECTORY", this way you will have all together the FEMAP *.modfem file and the nastran output results files *.dat, *.log, *.f06, *.f04 and the output binay results *.op2, ok?.
file-preferences-interfaces_zuab8l.png

Remember to SAVE your FEMAP model before solving, this is critical, if not NASTRAN don't know where is the model file directory.
When you create an study not need to select any output directory, all NASTRAN files will be saved in the model file directory, automatically:
nastran-output-not-need_udiiqs.png

Having both femap & nastran files in the same model file directory facilitate tasks as copies or backup database.
Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Thanks for your reply.

I have set up the Interface page the same as you suggest with no luck.

The force balance file is an excel file. My model is of a "unit cell" of composite material which is a small thin cube (like a plate with a thickness) of about 27000 elements, like a plate. I put constraints on one edge and put an enforced displacement on the other side. The force balance is used to find the load imposed on the constrained edge. That way I can calculate the elastic modulus of the plate. I have used this a number of times in the past to calculate the material properties of various types of composites like carbon fiber, carbon/kevlar fiber etc. In this case it is only glass fiber but it is a piece where the glass fiber is of unknown origin from a broken part.

So far it seems like my best hope is to recreate the model in an earlier version of femap that I have that worked before. It would be nice though to find out what is actually different in the latest version of femap. I have opened a help request with my siemens dealer.

Tom

Dear Tom,
To help you more effectively you need to explain better the problem: How do you generate the EXCEL file, using an user API or a FEMAP command?.
When you say FORCE BALANCE you refer to create a FREE BODY DIAGRAM?. In this case you need to make sure to activate the FORCE BALANCE in the NASTRAN OUTOUT REQUEST

force-balance-output-request_b0jg6l.png

Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48004 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.